Frugal vacation ideas
10 Ways to Save Money on Your Next Vacation
by Robert W. Belsky
How House Sitting Can Cut Your Vacation Costs
5 Ways to Get the Best Value for Your Travel Dollar
Why I Love Budget Travel
When you go on vacation, you would like to get the most for your money. Here are a few ways that you can make your money go farther.
- Always take food with you to the airport. Most airport food outlets are very expensive.
- Many hotels and motels have microwave ovens and small refrigerators in them. You can stop at a supermarket and bring food back to the room instead of going to a restaurant.
- Use coupons when you can. Go to HotelCoupons.com, where you can find coupons for more than 6,000 hotels.
- Check the websites of airlines before you buy your ticket. Southwest, Jetblue, AirTran and Spirit Air offer cost cutting prices.
- If you are over 40, you can stay in private homes for $20 per couple per night. Contact The Affordable Travel Club, 6556 Snug Harbor Lane, Gig Harbor, WA 98335; (253) 858-2172; AffordableTravelclub.net.
- If you are flexible in your travel itinerary, take time to really search for a flight. Let's say you want to go from NY to LA. You may want to take a flight from NY to Dallas and Dallas to Los Angeles, for example, instead of flying from NY to LA direct. Sometimes you can save several hundred dollars going the long way.
- If you have a family, you may want to try a large vacation home. Go to OrlandoVacationHomes.com. You can find a three-bedroom, two-bath home with a swimming pool for about $100 per night.
- If you rent a car, stop at a fast food restaurant. Then, take your food to a scenic picnic area away from the crowds.
- When traveling to New York, seek out greeters. Volunteers will take you on a walking tour of NY for free. Contact the Big Apple Greeters at (212) 669-8159 and they will assign you a greeter for a two to four hour tour.
- When traveling to Chicago, contact Chicago Greeters at ChicagoGreeter.com and they will assign a greeter from a walking tour around Chicago.
These ten tips will save you money on your next vacation.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- 8 things your kids need to know about money
- How to save on and enjoy a multi-family vacation
- Working for Avon or Mary Kay Video
- 3 great low cost summer activities with kids
- Teen jobs beyind babysitting and lawn mowing
- Frugal living ideas for large families
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in April
- Raising a child with financial smarts Video
- Savings challenge: Make your own fresh dog food
- April bargains in supermarkets and beyond
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator