Overloaded with Oranges?
by Tawra Kellam
It's that time of year. You found a really good deal on oranges, but you purchased a few more than you can eat. Now what do you do with them? Here are a few suggestions from Not Just Beans to get you started.
- Make juice out of the oranges and then use the peels for Candied Orange Peels.
- Use the leftover syrup from Candied Orange Peels on pancakes or French Toast. The syrup can also be used to make popsicles.
- Wash the peels thoroughly. Grate the peel before using and freeze the rest for a later use.
- Cut up the orange segments and use as a garnish for salads. Use in fruit salad or sliced as a side dish.
- Cut up slices and use as a garnish for meat or relish dishes.
- Cut up the peels. In a saucepan add peels, one cinnamon stick, a few cloves and fill to the top with water. Simmer for a nice potpourri or dry peels and use in dry potpourri.
Easy Orange Marmalade
1 Tbsp. water
1/2 cup sugar
Cut the un-peeled orange and place into a blender or food processor with the water. Pour mixture into a saucepan with the sugar and boil for 15 minutes.
*If a non-organic orange is used, wash the peels thoroughly before peeling.
Candied Orange Peel
Peels from three large oranges, grapefruits or lemons*
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups sugar
Cut the peel on each fruit into quarters. Pull the peel off in these quarter sections. Slice peel into 1/4 inch-wide strips. In a saucepan, add salt and cover with cold water. Boil 15 minutes, pour off water and add fresh water. Boil 20 minutes. Change water again and boil another 20 minutes. Drain and cover with 2 1/2 cups sugar and 1 cup water. Simmer, stirring constantly, until all the syrup has boiled away. Do not let the peels scorch. Spread on wax paper. Roll peels in remaining sugar. Let dry. Store in an airtight container. These keep one week or they can be frozen.
*If non-organic fruit is used, wash peels thoroughly before peeling.
Tawra Kellam is the author of Not Just Beans. For more tips and recipes, visit our Website at notjustbeans.com. To order Not Just Beans send $17.95 (includes shipping) to Not Just Beans, P.O. Box 4252, Wichita, KS 67204 or visit Amazon.com.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- Is your family normal? See how other households spend their money
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Where to find the best deals in February
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- $10 for peace of mind for your family
- How not to fight about money
- When you just don't have money to feed your family
- What every stay-at-home mom should know about her financial future
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator