Replacing a Telephone Jack
I'm trying to replace a telephone jack. When I removed the old one, the wires inside were only red, green and yellow. There was no black wire. I can't get a dial tone. What do I do now?
I'll bet you do have a black wire, but it broke off inside the heavy insulation that is covering all four individual wires! Trim back the insulation and the wire should be in there! I hope you have enough extra wire in the wall to make it work! While you're at it, trim back all the other wires just in case one of them might have a stress fracture (a break caused by bending) and to give you new, shiny copper for the connections!
Just an additional thought. The black and yellow wires are typically used for a second phone line. The red and green are used for a single line. All modern phone jacks are wired (and color-coded) this way. Thus, unless you are using a two-line phone or someone got "creative" with the wiring, the black wire wouldn't be used.
There is a lot of information on phone connections and various problems in the article at our website: naturalhandyman.com/iip/inf/infxtra/inftel.shtm
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?