Homemade Rooting Compound for Your Cuttings
by Pearl Sanborn
Gardening on a Dime
Gardening for (Almost) Nothing
Gardening Tips from Yesteryear
Although store bought rooting compound doesn't seem to be overly expensive, most folks don't know that it can be toxic due to the fungicide included to protect plant cuttings from disease.
Just as in humans, hormones stimulate various functions in plant growth. The first hormone discovered to cause root growth is called auxin, and the synthetic version of auxin is what we find in commercially sold compounds today.
The willow plant is a natural source of auxin. Therefore, it can be very easy to make up a fresh batch of homemade rooting compound whenever you need to plant some new cuttings.
- Gather a handful of willow branch tips
- Chop or mash into smaller pieces
- Fill small container with pieces
- Fill container with water & allow to sit overnight
- Remove willow pieces
- Dip cutting into the water, covering the stem
- Put cutting into your potting mix (or moist sand)
- Cover with a plastic bag to retain moisture
- After roots form, re-pot
Also, don't get rid of the willow water when you're done with your cuttings. Save it to water your plants!
find everything you need to get your garden growing at Mastergardening.com
If you don't have access to willow, dissolve a few aspirins in a jar of water. Aspirin is made from willow bark, so it can have the same effect as the willow water.
Live way better for far less with LittleCountryVillage.com Homesteading, cottage gardening, frugal living. Get your free newsletter overflowing with goodies like today's article! Copyright© Pearl Sanborn
Take the Next Step:
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar!
- Visit the TDS library for more great gardening ideas.
- Visit our Pinterest board for A Frugal Lawn and Garden.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How to hire an affordable, reliable housesitter
- Helping your adult children with housing
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Installing bathroom in-floor heat
- Natural homemade laundry soap recipes
- How to reduce heating bills this winter
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?