How to make homemade steak sauce that's better than A1!
Homemade Steak Sauce
How to Make Ketchup
Inexpensive Sauces Perk Up Frugal Recipes
Homemade Steak Sauce
We love A1 sauce, but it is so expensive. Does anyone have a recipe for steak sauce? Jacqueline
An Excellent Clone
Here's a recipe from RecipeGoldmine.com "Classy Clones" section. I've not tried it, but other recipes posted there were excellent clones! The site has a lot of good recipes, crafting, and household hints.
A-1 Steak Sauce
1/2 C. orange juice
1/2 C. raisins
1/4 C. soy sauce
1/4 C. white vinegar
2 T. Dijon mustard
1 T. grated orange peel
2 T. catsup
2 T. chili sauce
Bring all the ingredients to a boil, and then boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Allow the mixture to cool to lukewarm. Pour the mixture into a blender until it is smooth. Pour it into a bottle and cap tightly. Refrigerate and use within 90 days.
Heather in NJ
Homemade Family Favorite Steak Sauce
For a great steak sauce, I mix equal amounts of Worcestershire sauce and ketchup with a dash of onion powder.
Great Recipes for Homemade Sauce
Go to TopSecretRecipes.com. At this site, you will find lots of recipes of famous brands like Heinz ketchup and Kentucky fried chicken. I didn't see a recipe for A1 sauce. However, I did find the sauce recipes from the Lonestar steakhouse and the Outback steakhouse.
Inexpensive Steak Sauce Alternative
If you have an Aldi Foods Grocery Store near you, try their steak sauce. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Great Homemade Alternative
Here is a totally inexpensive alternative. I use it in the crockpot over a roast. It tastes very much like A1 steak sauce.
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup lemon juice (bottled)
Salt and Pepper
Put the ingredients in small pan and simmer. Bottle and keep refrigerated. You can double or triple this recipe.
Patrick of Milwaukee, WI
You'll Love This Homemade Steak Sauce
My husband loves this version of homemade A-1 sauce. I found this recipe in "Country Woman Magazine," dated July/August 1995.
2 cups ketchup
2 garlic cloves, minced
2/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup each lemon juice, water, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
Combine all of the ingredients in a 3-quart saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Strain if desired. Cover and refrigerate. Yield: about 3 cups
Elaine's Homemade Steak Sauce
I make my own steak sauce recipe that is so easy. I have been told that it tastes similar to the A1 brand that costs so much in the grocery store.
Add one teaspoon of ground ginger to 2 cups of the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce mixture and simmer. If one desires it to be a little sweet, you may add some brown sugar to taste. After this cools, I pour it into a squeeze bottle, or any container, and keep it in the cupboard. You can refrigerate it if you desire.
Buy groceries, earn cash back at Checkout 51
Save Big at Save-a-Lot
Forget the A1 and try something different. If you have a Save-a-Lot near you, their knockoff of A1 tastes great and it is a great deal. We even add it to marinades without worrying about how much we are using.
Take the Next Step:
- Learn how to Make Your Own Mixes and save big!
- Do you struggle to get ahead financially? Then you'll want to subscribe to our free weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter aimed at helping you 'live better...for less'. Each issue features great ways to help you stretch your dollars and make the most of your resources.
- Why pay someone to mix simple ingredients? Visit our Pinterest board for Homemade Food Mixes and Staples.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Trending on TDS
- Tricks and treats: What not to buy in October
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- 5 reasons to skip an all-inclusive vacation
- Secrets to living luxuriously for less
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- Gain more by spending less
- Affordable outdoor clothes for winter
- Best apps for cheaper, smarter travel Video
- How to get good deals on wine
- 3 herbal remedies for anxiety
- Declutter your wardrobe
- Could a thrift store be dangerous to your financial health?