We just finished putting down self-adhesive vinyl tile on our concrete kitchen floor. We used self-stick tile, but we also spread some all-purpose floor adhesive on the floor first before applying the tiles.
Now the tiles are very sticky on top, and I can't get it off. What can I use to remove this sticky film. I have tried mineral spirits, vinegar and household cleaner. I'm assuming it is from the floor tile adhesive.
L from Barstow, CA
Perhaps you tried to outsmart the manufacturer and/or skimp on the floor preparation, since self-adhesive vinyl tiles are suitable for dry, smooth concrete surfaces. In either event, you may be in big trouble. Many flooring products are sensitive to solvents, so each has specific adhesives recommended by the manufacturer to prevent odd chemical reactions. I did a little research and found that self-adhesive floor tiles are not designed to use any adhesive at all except that applied by the manufacturer. Thus, the tile's reaction to an "all purpose" floor adhesive is unknown.
In my experience, most solvent-based adhesives, especially freshly applied ones, will come off solid surfaces with mineral spirits, so you most likely have some sort of chemical reaction occurring. Aside from pulling the tiles up, cleaning the floor, and starting over, your best bet may be to just wait a day or so and see if the tackiness disappears on its own as the adhesive dries. Good luck, and hope you don't get stuck!
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here NaturalHandyman.com/aitikia. For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links NaturalHandyman.com. If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page NaturalHandyman.com/Friends.
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at NaturalHandyman.com/Contest. Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information located at NaturalHandyman.com/Copyright.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 4 ways to pay off your mortgage earlier
- How much does it cost to cool your home?
- Monthly dishwasher maintenance that can help you save
- Natural spider control
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Should I refinance my mortgage?
- Compare HELOC rates
- Check for a lower homeowners insurance rate
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?