We just finished putting down self-adhesive vinyl tile on our concrete kitchen floor. We used self-stick tile, but we also spread some all-purpose floor adhesive on the floor first before applying the tiles.
Now the tiles are very sticky on top, and I can't get it off. What can I use to remove this sticky film. I have tried mineral spirits, vinegar and household cleaner. I'm assuming it is from the floor tile adhesive.
L from Barstow, CA
Perhaps you tried to outsmart the manufacturer and/or skimp on the floor preparation, since self-adhesive vinyl tiles are suitable for dry, smooth concrete surfaces. In either event, you may be in big trouble. Many flooring products are sensitive to solvents, so each has specific adhesives recommended by the manufacturer to prevent odd chemical reactions. I did a little research and found that self-adhesive floor tiles are not designed to use any adhesive at all except that applied by the manufacturer. Thus, the tile's reaction to an "all purpose" floor adhesive is unknown.
In my experience, most solvent-based adhesives, especially freshly applied ones, will come off solid surfaces with mineral spirits, so you most likely have some sort of chemical reaction occurring. Aside from pulling the tiles up, cleaning the floor, and starting over, your best bet may be to just wait a day or so and see if the tackiness disappears on its own as the adhesive dries. Good luck, and hope you don't get stuck!
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.