Insulated Toilet Tanks and Bleach
I just had my toilet tank insulated. Can I still use toilet tank cleaner tablets with bleach?
KDB from Fort Wayne, IN
No, it would be unwise. The high concentration of bleach in tank-type chemical cleaners may wreak havoc with the insulating material. Over time it will become brittle and eventually begin to fall apart. The bleach may even cause the adhesive to loosen!
I am no fan of using any sort of bleach in the toilet tank since it will also degrade both the flapper and the seal between the tank and bowl. The flapper will begin to curl and stop sealing properly. Not a difficult repair but nevertheless annoying.
The seal, however, is another matter. First, it will become hard and brittle. The damage is silent, but one day, you'll put some pressure on the tank, causing it to move slightly. Instead of the seal allowing this little movement, it will crack. And, oh boy, the next time you flush, you will feel a chill around your ankles!
I can understand the fascination with blue water in the toilet. I think it's rather pretty, sort of like sailing the South Seas! But it offers little in the way of improved hygiene. After all, when you clean the toilet, what part do you think matters most? Is it the inside of the bowl that no one touches or the rim/seat? Case closed.
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- Buying carpet for less
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Eliminating bed bugs
- Managing home projects
- Furnishing your first apartment
- 7 low-cost ways to beat the heat
- Happy homemaking the homemade way
- DIY furniture remakes
- Inexpensive ways to change color of laminate countertops
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 6 energy-saving projects for your home
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- How much equity can you cash out of your home?
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?