Replacing Shower Pans
I read your suggestion to replace a shower pan with a custom-made Fiberglass one. I have a shower pan that needs to be replaced, and I am interested in exploring this suggestion. If I look through the phone book, what types of businesses do you think would be able to sell me one of these? Can I install it myself?
LS from Portland, OR
You can order custom shower pans from most plumbing supply houses and home stores. You'll hopefully receive installation instructions with the new pan. Generally speaking, the pans do not need anything other than a sound plywood floor underneath them for support, so you will have to remove any special framing that was installed to form the masonry pan.
Is this a do-it-yourself project? Well, it depends on your tolerance for pain (Ha Ha) and your handyman skill level. You will need tile skills to install tileboard around the top of the pan and the new tiles, plumbing skills to relocate the drain to match the new pan, and possibly carpentry skills, too.
If you have no experience in these, it doesn't mean you can't do it. It just means that you will have to be patient, take your time, and get a few good books to help you get started! You can lighten your load by subcontracting part of the work, such as the relocation of the drainpipe.
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?