My Story: Small Safeguards
contributed by BJ
Practical, Frugal Home Security
Home Safe Home
Here are some inexpensive ways to safeguard your home and belongings.
- Put a broomstick in the sliding glass door track to help lock it.
- Install motion sensor lights outside your house and garage.
- Keep bushes cut down and away from doors and windows.
- Cover the windows in the garage with frosted contact paper. Light can come in, but no one will be able to see into your garage.
- Keep the garage door down and locked whenever the garage is not in use.
- Take the name off your mailbox. By doing this, any potential intruders will not be able to look you up in the phone book and call to see if you are home.
- Drill through the center of your double hung window frames (all the way through the inside and half way through the outside frame) and insert a large flat-headed nail. This will provide another lock and cannot be opened from the outside without breaking the glass.
- Keep doors locked even when you are home.
- Never open your door to anyone without finding out who they are first. I don't answer to salesmen, census takers, or fundraisers.
- Have a dog. A dog's bark may discourage a break-in.
- Drop your mail (especially those letters with checks enclosed) at a post office box instead of at your curbside home box.
- Have someone that you trust pick up your mail and papers, and arrange for mowing or shoveling while you are gone.
- Have an inexpensive timer on inside lights and/or a radio.
- Keep your cars locked, and anything of value that must be left in the car should be locked in the trunk.
- Keep a chain repair link on the gate's latches of our fence. It is not really a lock, but it takes a minute to undo.
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money, please send it by mailto:MyStory@stretcher.com
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?