How to repair tears in leather upholstery
Leather Upholstery Repair
Budget Furniture Fix-Ups
Cleaning Leather Furniture
Leather Upholstery Repair
The leather armrest on my computer chair has a crack in it. What can I do to repair it and stop further damage?
Leather Repair Kit
I've worked in the furniture industry for seven years, and leather was our specialty. Our leather trainer admitted that the "as-seen-on-TV" repair kits aren't so far off from what our service department used. I guess they just mix the different colors until they have a match and patch it up. Try calling a professional for advice on the color and they may be able to order it for you.
Auto Repair Kit
I had a tear in my leather recliner as well. I bought a leather/vinyl repair kit from my local auto parts store. The kit was about $9 and it included the colors, the liquid that bonds the tear, pieces of paper with different textures, and a heating device. I would recommend you pre-mix the colors and try it out in an inconspicuous place before you try it on the arm rest.
Shoe Repairs for Leather
If the arm is removable and the leather is removable as well, you have two options. First, take it to either a quality shoe repair or an upholsterer. My preference would be to the shoe repair because they generally know how to work with various types of leather. You can possibly have a new arm rest made out of leather if they have a match. Or if you just want it patched, this can be done as well.
If you try to fix it yourself by putting a patch underneath and then adding glue, be sure to stay away from crazy glue. This glue dries out the leather and cracks it even more. Use appropriate materials and recommended glues.
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?