How to repair tears in leather upholstery
Leather Upholstery Repair
Budget Furniture Fix-Ups
Cleaning Leather Furniture
Leather Upholstery Repair
The leather armrest on my computer chair has a crack in it. What can I do to repair it and stop further damage?
Leather Repair Kit
I've worked in the furniture industry for seven years, and leather was our specialty. Our leather trainer admitted that the "as-seen-on-TV" repair kits aren't so far off from what our service department used. I guess they just mix the different colors until they have a match and patch it up. Try calling a professional for advice on the color and they may be able to order it for you.
Auto Repair Kit
I had a tear in my leather recliner as well. I bought a leather/vinyl repair kit from my local auto parts store. The kit was about $9 and it included the colors, the liquid that bonds the tear, pieces of paper with different textures, and a heating device. I would recommend you pre-mix the colors and try it out in an inconspicuous place before you try it on the arm rest.
Shoe Repairs for Leather
If the arm is removable and the leather is removable as well, you have two options. First, take it to either a quality shoe repair or an upholsterer. My preference would be to the shoe repair because they generally know how to work with various types of leather. You can possibly have a new arm rest made out of leather if they have a match. Or if you just want it patched, this can be done as well.
see The Ultimate Green Store - your one-stop green shopping destination
If you try to fix it yourself by putting a patch underneath and then adding glue, be sure to stay away from crazy glue. This glue dries out the leather and cracks it even more. Use appropriate materials and recommended glues.
Take the Next Step
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Winter energy saving ideas for renters
- How to control carpenter ants
- 3 things you need to know about free firewood
- Essential fall home repairs
- Fill your home with things that you love
- Organize your garage
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?