How to avoid repackaged refills
Homemade Floor Cleaner Recipes
Cleaning Engineered Hardwood Floors
Cleaners for Laminate Floors
No-Wax Floor Care
Homemade Floor Cleaner
I am looking for a way to make the cleaner that comes in the attachable bottles of floor cleaner on products like "Clorox Ready Mop." I tried some ammonia with water, but it left water spots on the floor. The purchased cleaner leaves the floor clean and shiny, but it is very expensive. I love the convenience of this mop in my kitchen, but I don't love the expense. Can anyone help with a recipe for a homemade version of the floor cleaner?
Baby Shampoo Cleans My Floors
I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo (about 1 to 2 tsp. per gallon of water). This cleans really well. I learned this tip from a professional cleaner of a beauty shop chain.
Great Homemade Floor Cleaner: Vinegar and Water
Try a solution of vinegar and water in a spray bottle. This is actually recommended on the website of the company that produced our floors. I have a hunch it might work for linoleum or tile floors, too, though I have not tried it.
My Homemade Floor Cleaner: Water and Rubbing Alcohol
I happened on a bottle of cleaner at Menard's that actually had the ingredients listed on the floor cleaner. It consisted of water, several types of alcohol and fragrance. I have laminate wood flooring and was looking for a cheaper way to use my Swiffer. So I experimented with placing eight ounces of rubbing alcohol with 32 ounces of hot water. It works great! I still purchase the Swiffer pads in the economy box, but I spray the floor with my solution first.
Homemade All-Purpose Floor Cleaner
An economical, non-rinse cleaner can be made by mixing the following ingredients.
1/4 cup Dish soap
2 cups Vinegar
1 cup Lemon juice
1 to 2 cups Water
Great for cleaning, floors, bathrooms, walls, etc.
Try This Homemade Recipe
I wanted to re-fill the bottle to my Clorox mop. So, I came up with a great recipe. Use two tablespoons of ammonia, 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol, 1/2 teaspoon of dish soap, and enough water to fill to the top. Give it a try!
Floor Installer's Advice on Homemade Cleaners
I have the Clorox Wet Mop system. A friend told me that she was told by the Vinyl Floor Installer to clean the floor with diluted window cleaner. Use one part Window Cleaner to one part hot water. I just mix it and put it in my mop's solution container. It works great!
Take the Next Step:
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
- Never overspend for store-bought cleaners again. Use The Dollar Stretcher's Guide to Homemade Cleaners to find frugal, effective recipes for keeping your entire house and laundry clean and fresh.
Trending on TDS
Helpful Tools & Resources
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Should I refinance my mortgage?
- Compare HELOC rates
- Check for a lower homeowners insurance rate
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?