How to avoid repackaged refills
Homemade Floor Cleaner Recipes
Cleaning Engineered Hardwood Floors
Cleaners for Laminate Floors
No-Wax Floor Care
Homemade Floor Cleaner
I am looking for a way to make the cleaner that comes in the attachable bottles of floor cleaner on products like "Clorox Ready Mop." I tried some ammonia with water, but it left water spots on the floor. The purchased cleaner leaves the floor clean and shiny, but it is very expensive. I love the convenience of this mop in my kitchen, but I don't love the expense. Can anyone help with a recipe for a homemade version of the floor cleaner?
Baby Shampoo Cleans My Floors
I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo (about 1 to 2 tsp. per gallon of water). This cleans really well. I learned this tip from a professional cleaner of a beauty shop chain.
Great Homemade Floor Cleaner: Vinegar and Water
Try a solution of vinegar and water in a spray bottle. This is actually recommended on the website of the company that produced our floors. I have a hunch it might work for linoleum or tile floors, too, though I have not tried it.
My Homemade Floor Cleaner: Water and Rubbing Alcohol
I happened on a bottle of cleaner at Menard's that actually had the ingredients listed on the floor cleaner. It consisted of water, several types of alcohol and fragrance. I have laminate wood flooring and was looking for a cheaper way to use my Swiffer. So I experimented with placing eight ounces of rubbing alcohol with 32 ounces of hot water. It works great! I still purchase the Swiffer pads in the economy box, but I spray the floor with my solution first.
Homemade All-Purpose Floor Cleaner
An economical, non-rinse cleaner can be made by mixing the following ingredients.
1/4 cup Dish soap
2 cups Vinegar
1 cup Lemon juice
1 to 2 cups Water
Great for cleaning, floors, bathrooms, walls, etc.
Try This Homemade Recipe
I wanted to re-fill the bottle to my Clorox mop. So, I came up with a great recipe. Use two tablespoons of ammonia, 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol, 1/2 teaspoon of dish soap, and enough water to fill to the top. Give it a try!
See My Cleaning Products for green cleaning solutions.
Floor Installer's Advice on Homemade Cleaners
I have the Clorox Wet Mop system. A friend told me that she was told by the Vinyl Floor Installer to clean the floor with diluted window cleaner. Use one part Window Cleaner to one part hot water. I just mix it and put it in my mop's solution container. It works great!
Take the Next Step:
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
- Visit our Pinterest board for Homemade Cleaning Recipes.
- Learn more about saving money on your home and auto. Visit our Home & Auto Page.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?