Replacing a Dryer Vent
Cleaning Dryer Vents
Is there a way to replace the plastic dryer vent without tearing up the wall? I recently got a new dryer and the serviceman would not hook it up to the plastic venting because it is no longer acceptable. The dryer is in the basement and the vent runs up the wall, about 10 to 12 feet. I really don't want to cut into the wall. (Someone told me that that a liner could be put in there.)
SW from Sandy, UT
A typical residential clothes dryer is designed for a 4" circular vent hose, preferably solid metal with smooth interior walls to allow maximal airflow. Smaller diameter hoses cause a pressure backup into the dryer, slowing clothes drying and possibly leading to dangerous overheating!
A typical wall today has only 3 1/2" of open space inside. Though this slight squeezing of the hose may not cause a noticeable reduction in airflow, it does make replacing the hose impossible without cutting open the wall!
You need to evaluate the venting arrangement for your dryer. Is there a more direct path to the outside than the one you are currently using? If there is an unfinished attic above, basement below or an adjacent closet with an outside wall, can you run the hose through these areas to avoid carpentry/drywall repairs? A dryer vent hose can be boxed in with minimal carpentry skills, so it is often possible to make the hose disappear in an attractive fashion.
Regarding a liner, it cannot be done with a flexible dryer vent hose because the reduction in hose size would cause the problems mentioned earlier.
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?