How to clean your aluminum screen door
Cleaning Aluminum Screen Doors
Cleaning Vinyl Siding
Dingy Vinyl Shutters
Spring Cleaning Home's Exterior
I have several inexpensive white metal (I believe they are aluminum) screen doors that I have been unable to completely clean with ordinary household cleaners. I can remove some of the greasy grime, dirt, and scuff marks, but I can't seem to get the white metal on any of these screen doors totally clean. Can the readers recommend any specific products or methods to really clean up these doors?
Try using whitening toothpaste, such as Colgate Whitening with Baking Soda and Peroxide. It clings well, is mildly abrasive, and takes out stains. It worked wonders on an old white stove I had that was grease-stained and scuffed. Apply with a dry paper towel and rub in circles.
Automotive Aluminum Cleaner
We have found that black streak remover works quite well for cleaning aluminum. We use it on our eaves trough and on the aluminum siding on our travel trailer. I don't know the brand we use, but we purchased it at Canadian Tire. It is a little pricey, but a little goes a long way. Just spray and wipe.
Special Paste Cleans Aluminum
I learned this lesson when I had to try and get old shower enclosures clean at some apartments. It worked like a miracle! Mix baking soda with chlorine bleach, adding approximately equal amounts. You'll want a thick paste that is still somewhat wet. Use a plastic knife or your fingers, covered with a rubber glove, to totally cover the aluminum and caulk. Let it sit for several hours (overnight is fine). Spray off with clear water, and scrub with a toothbrush if needed.
Greased Lightning for Clean Aluminum
I got this tip from The Dollar Stretcher. Go to Wal-Mart and buy some Grease Lightening. It's with the other cleaning products. This stuff is great! I use it everywhere. It can handle all the problems you mentioned.
Awesome for Cleaning Aluminum!
I came upon a product at the dollar store that cleans everything! It is called "Awesome!" and it lives up to its name. I have not found anything it cannot clean. Try it if you can find it. I know you will love it!
Clean Aluminum With Bar Keeper's Friend
I use a product called Bar Keeper's Friend. I bought it originally to clean my stainless steel sinks. It works great on aluminum too.
Bleach White brand whitewall cleaner for tires works very well. It's available at most auto parts stores and sometimes at Wal-Mart and K-Mart.
Truck Stop Aluminum Cleaner
Go to a truck stop and look for a cleaning compound that truckers use to polish the aluminum wheels and fuel tanks on their big rigs.
Take the Next Step:
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?