Readers Respond: Better Basement Floors
Painting a Basement Floor
The Natural Handyman: Floor Adhesives
Try Hydro-Seal 75
Hydro-Seal 75, manufactured by Northern Industries Inc, is a water-based epoxy waterproofing material designed for waterproofing concrete floors with hydrostatic pressure. I agree that is important to try to solve the water problem but many vapor barriers fail, resulting in concrete floors with high moisture and seepage problems. Hydro-Seal 75 is a solution that will eliminate those high moisture readings making the floor acceptable for other types of flooring including rugs, tile, and different wood flooring including oak, laminate and floating floors. Hydro-Seal 75 is odorless, excellent for basement walls and floors, ideal for severe below grade applications like elevator pits, and perfect for your damp concrete floor. When mixed with portand cement and sand Hydro-Seal 75 becomes an excellent patching material for skimming cracks and filling the cove (where the floor meets the wall). Hydro-Seal 75 does allow some vapor transmission, but has a very low perm. Hydro-Seal 75 is available in white and grey and can be pigmented to any pastel color. Kit sizes include 1 gallon, 6 gallon and 10 gallon. Coverage on concrete floors is about 150-175 square feet per gallon and a two coat application is required. Hydro-seal 75 will dry in 2-4 hours so your two coat application can be done in one day. Hydro-Seal 75 will get the job done.
Take the Next Step:
- Check home and garden product reviews at Cheapism.com before making a purchasing decision.
- Learn more about painting a basement floor.
- Read more about basement flooring options.
- Try one of these cheap ways to create a finished basement.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Tricks to painting interior trim
- Affordable chimney care
- Do-it-yourself brick walkways
- The pros and cons of having a homeowners association
- 5 places to find free firewood
- Homemade detergent for HE washing machines
- 5 best budget decorating tips under $20
- How to make garden stones
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?