Using Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Pests
Getting Rid of Snakes
On my patio, I have a problem with lizards that live in my artificial trees and behind a thermometer. I have tried many times to get them out, but they are much faster than I am. They make such a mess on my patio (even my table). They also live in or around my gas grill.
Our cats got rid of our lizard problem. Cats love them!
Help from Hawaii
We live in Hawaii and have a terrible problem with geckos (nighttime, so called "house lizards") and chameleons (mostly active during the day).
For the nighttime lizards, we have left out large glue traps. They are very attracted to the bait. Interestingly, even though there may be one or more dead on the trap, others will still be attracted enough to crawl on.
For the daytime lizards, we have noted where they sleep, and then rounded them up during the night. They often sleep together, so this is easier than it sounds.
Find Out What They Feast On
Your lizards are happy on your patio because they are feasting on something. Figure out what that is, get rid of it or discourage it, and the lizards will choose another home. It is possible, however, that they are feasting on mosquitoes or other critters that are more of a nuisance than they are. In tropical Asia where I grew up, a lot of lizards are considered good luck and healthy because they eat so many bugs.
Leave Egg Shells Around
Place egg shells around the areas. Lizards hate them!
Forget About Them!
My solution for lizards on the patio is to forget about them. They eat a ton of pesky insects. Sometimes, we need to just accept Mother Nature and realize fixing a "problem" can lead to worse situations. I'm sure once this reader "fixes" her lizards, she'll be writing on how to save all her plants from hungry insects!
see The Ultimate Green Store - your one-stop green shopping destination
Use Sticky Pads
Use the sticky pads that are used to catch mice. Lay them next to the wall or crevice. Once they walk on them, they're stuck until you dispose of them. It works pretty well.
Take the Next Step
- Looking for affordable pest control solutions? check out DIY pest control
- Get more great time and money saving ideas in your inbox. Subscribe to Dollar Stretcher Tips newsletter, a twice weekly look at how to stretch your day and your dollar!
- Great things are happening on Pinterest! Visit our "Handy Household Tips" board today!
Also in Home
- Creating an outdoor kitchen
- Eliminating bed bugs
- Managing home projects
- Saving on water one drop at a time
- Cheaper summer cooling
- Inexpensive landscaping ideas
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?