Replacing Door Weatherstripping
I'm looking for bottom weatherstrip for my front door. It is 20 years old and worn out. My problem is that the metal clad door has one channel in the bottom of the door for the weather stripping to fit up into, not two channels as most of the replacements I see. Is it possible you know a supplier for such an item?
JS from Palmer, AK
Try contacting Aubuchon Hardware. They are online at aubuchonhardware.com. They have bottom weatherstrips for Ceco, Johnson and Stanley doors. The problem is that they do not have graphics for the Johnson and Stanley doors. Perhaps one of them has the single channel you mention. I am unsure since I have rarely replaced them for anyone. Hopefully, they can help you either by email or over the phone. Phone is probably better since email is so sketchy these days! (Hooray for "800" phone numbers!)
Your other, less desirable (but probably workable) alternative is to install a generic weatherstrip on either the inside or outside of the door, depending on the height and width of your threshold and, of course, the height of the inside flooring or carpet. If the threshold isn't sufficiently raised to allow you to install a stationary weatherstrip, there are a few types that have automatic actuation. They raise up when you open the door and drop to press against the threshold when the door is closed.
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 8 ways homebuyers annoy sellers
- Protect yourself from buying a lemon of a home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 ways to stock your "man cave" for under $500
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?