Cooking from Scratch Recipes
My Story: Mom's Secret Recipe
contributed by JC
Making Pie from Scratch
No Cook Strawberry Freezer Jam
My mom was a country woman and cooked from scratch all the time. Most of the time, she cooked with her own recipes. Before she went, we had a conversation and this is almost exactly as it went.
me: "Mom, I know that you are going to be around for a long time yet, but I want to be sure I have your recipe for pecan pie. You make the best pecan pie I ever tasted!"
mom: "Well, honey, first you buy a bottle of Red Karo Syrup." (it was then known as "red" and "white" not dark and light) She paused as if to give herself time to think what to say next.
mom: "Turn it around and the recipe's on the back."
I was aghast! We laughed so hard! She was thoroughly amused and so was I! So, I tried again.
me: "Well, I want your recipe for your wonderful jelly!"
mom: She paused again and then hesitantly said, "Well, first you buy a box of Sure Gel."
me: (suspiciously) "And?"
mom: "Turn the box around, and the recipe's on the back! Hee hee hee!"
I laughed with her. Then she added, "But don't cut your juice too much. I don't cut my juice with nearly the water they recommend. That's the secret!"
Now that is a delicious memory! My whole family loves it and waits patiently when I tell it to someone new. I now have two cookbooks full of these wonderful "label" recipes. They are expensive books, when bought new, but they are worth the money. I bought mine at a resale shop, so they didn't cost nearly as much!
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money please send it by mailto:MyStory@stretcher.com
Trending on TDS
- Get creative in the kitchen and save #TDSPantryChallenge
- 7 ways to keep college costs in check
- Home remedies for common winter ailments
- Buying and selling toys on craigslist
- Hiding debts from your spouse
- Is it possible to stay at home with your kids?
- Homemade cat food
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- January bargains in the supermarket and beyond
- Raising kids that launch Video
- 8 tips to successfully work from home
- Best places to sell 8 popular household items
- 5 dumb ways to spend money on your kids
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator