Running Without Oil
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Don't Scrimp on Your Oil Change
Dealer Forgets to Replace Oil
True Cost of Not Maintaining Your Car
I had the oil changed in my car on Monday and I got a new filter. I drove the car to town about 25 miles one way on Tuesday with no problem. On Thursday, I drove it to town again, and on the way home, I heard a clicking noise. As I got to my driveway, it quit and I coasted in. I checked the oil and there was none on the dip stick. I called the garage where the work was done and they came out and verified the problem. They towed it to the garage and found that the problem was with the filter. So far the car is working fine, but people keep telling me it might blow up. I am afraid to drive too far from home. If it was ruined, how long before something would happen? I drove to town today and I didn't have a problem. The garage said they would stand behind it if I had trouble. This is a '95 Chrysler Concorde with 109,000 miles. It is in very good shape. I would hate to give it up now. If something is going to happen, when do you think it would?
Well, first of all, if the problem was with the filter, I will assume there was a leak. I don't think it all leaked out at once, so there was probably a small leak over time (the 50 miles you drove during that week). However, it's the last part of that 50 miles that we need to concern ourselves with. Was it just normal around town type driving or was it high speed freeway type driving? Will the repair center put some sort of warranty in writing? If they will not, then if something happens, you won't have much to fight with if it gets down to it. Even if they are a reputable shop, an engine replacement is not cheap and they may decide to fight it. So, if they are willing to give you some sort of warranty, and it seems to be driving fine, then don't worry about it and go about your life as normal.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Keep dogs out of your flower beds naturally Slideshow
- 11 carpet hacks
- How to clean a stained smooth cooktop
- How mower maintainance could save you money
- 6 reasons to plant a tree
- Turning a garage into a family room
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?