Healthy Veggie Stew
contributed by Chet's Crock
The combination of eggplant, tomatoes and beans is classic to the cuisine of many different countries. This recipe is easily made in the crockpot and is truly delicious served with some rice or couscous. You could add some spicy sliced sausage if you felt the need to add meat.
1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 cups sliced carrot
1 (15-oz) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup onion
1 cup sliced celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups vegetable broth
1 (6-oz) can Italian-style tomato paste
1/2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp. dried basil, crushed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
Combine all ingredients in the crockpot. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 to 9 hours. Discard bay leaf before serving with some brown rice or fluffy couscous or polenta.
Fabulous crockpot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at http://chetday.com/easyhealthyrecipes.htm
Trending on TDS
- Getting kids to complete chores
- Cutting the cost of baby's first year Video
- Does it really pay to have two people working?
- Making the transition to stay-st-home mom
- Homemade toys for babies
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in April
- Raising a child with financial smarts Video
- Savings challenge: Make your own fresh dog food
- April bargains in supermarkets and beyond
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator