Healthy Veggie Stew
contributed by Chet's Crock
The combination of eggplant, tomatoes and beans is classic to the cuisine of many different countries. This recipe is easily made in the crockpot and is truly delicious served with some rice or couscous. You could add some spicy sliced sausage if you felt the need to add meat.
1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 cups sliced carrot
1 (15-oz) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup onion
1 cup sliced celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups vegetable broth
1 (6-oz) can Italian-style tomato paste
1/2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp. dried basil, crushed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
Combine all ingredients in the crockpot. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 to 9 hours. Discard bay leaf before serving with some brown rice or fluffy couscous or polenta.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
Fabulous crockpot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at http://chetday.com/easyhealthyrecipes.htm
Take the Next Step
- Slow Cooker recipes for those days when you will be away from your kitchen.
More Money-Saving Tips for Families
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- 10 bargains you shouldn't miss in June
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Keeping kids well-clothed for next to nothing
- Calculating how much life insurance you need
- Is your frugal lifestyle depriving your children?
- Inexpensive gifts for the graduate