Healthy Veggie Stew
contributed by Chet's Crock
The combination of eggplant, tomatoes and beans is classic to the cuisine of many different countries. This recipe is easily made in the crockpot and is truly delicious served with some rice or couscous. You could add some spicy sliced sausage if you felt the need to add meat.
1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 cups sliced carrot
1 (15-oz) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup onion
1 cup sliced celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups vegetable broth
1 (6-oz) can Italian-style tomato paste
1/2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp. dried basil, crushed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
Combine all ingredients in the crockpot. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 to 9 hours. Discard bay leaf before serving with some brown rice or fluffy couscous or polenta.
Fabulous crockpot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at http://chetday.com/easyhealthyrecipes.htm
Trending on TDS
- 5 ways to prevent elderly relatives from throwing away money
- Teaching small children about wants and needs
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- 10 kid-friendly tips for surviving long winter days
- Keeping your toddler warm at night
- Home remedies for colds and flus
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- December bargains in the supermarket and beyond
- A dozen things you should buy in December
- 8 tips to successfully work from home
- How to start writing your will
- 5 dumb ways to spend money on your kids
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator