Healthy Veggie Stew
contributed by Chet's Crock
The combination of eggplant, tomatoes and beans is classic to the cuisine of many different countries. This recipe is easily made in the crockpot and is truly delicious served with some rice or couscous. You could add some spicy sliced sausage if you felt the need to add meat.
1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 cups sliced carrot
1 (15-oz) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup onion
1 cup sliced celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups vegetable broth
1 (6-oz) can Italian-style tomato paste
1/2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp. dried basil, crushed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
Combine all ingredients in the crockpot. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 to 9 hours. Discard bay leaf before serving with some brown rice or fluffy couscous or polenta.
Fabulous crockpot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at http://chetday.com/easyhealthyrecipes.htm
Trending on TDS
- An affordable wardrobe for a nursing mom
- Cutting the cost of corrective lenses down to size
- Cheaper kitty litter
- Dental plans: A bright smile for less
- Happy Birthdays on a budget
- 200+ ideas for summertime fun
- Easy to make musical instruments for kids
- 4 tips for enjoying a 'staycation'
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Grocery items you can find on sale in July
- 8 items to buy at yard sales this summer
- 5 colleges where your kid can go to school for free
- 6 secrets to saving more at discount stores
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator