courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
We recently purchased a 1997 Toyota 4Runner. It seems to run well. However, every once in a while after we stop, it emits a really foul odor similar to rotten eggs. This happens maybe twice a week. Is this anything we should be worried about?
That smell is sulfur. It is being burned off of the catalytic converter. It comes from using low-grade fuel. You can clean it up by running some premium grade fuel from a national brand. Then, take the car out on the freeway and get it good and hot. It may take several tank fulls of good fuel to get all of the bad stuff out of there.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?