Natural nail and hand care
Homemade Natural Products for Beautiful Hands
by Irene Helen Zundel
Natural Potions for Super Skin
Silky Skin and Salt Scrubs
Homemade Lotions and Toiletries
Your hands and nails can really take a beating! Daily they are exposed to rough weather, immersed in cleaning solutions, caked with dirt from the garden, and who knows what else! Before long, you find yourself with broken fingernails and skin that rivals an alligator's.
Store-bought products aren't always the best remedy. They contain dyes, fragrances, and chemicals that may leave you worse off in the long run. And boy, can they be expensive!
Would you like to pamper your hands, and have strong beautiful nails, and glowing soft skin? Would you like to make your own products with natural ingredients that cost just pennies? Well, you're in luck! Here are three super hand and nail fixes that you can easily whip up at home. Why not give them a try?
Molasses Nail Soak (softens cuticles and strengthens and conditions nails)
1/4 cup warm water
2 tablespoons molasses
Mix the water and molasses together, stirring well. Soak your nails for 15 to minutes and then rinse. For extra conditioning, apply the solution to clean nails with a cotton swab at bedtime, and rinse in the morning. Don't worry. This mixture rinses easily and won't leave your hands sticky.
Milk Hand Mask (can be used on face and body as well)
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup powdered milk or powdered buttermilk
Mix the buttermilk and powdered milk to form a smooth paste. Using a small paintbrush or pastry brush, spread an even layer of this mixture over your hands. Leave the mask on until it dries, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse off with cool water and pat dry. Because milk is high in protein and vitamins, this mask really nourishes the skin, giving it a healthy glow.
Natural Nail Luster (to promote nail growth)
1 tablespoon pure olive oil
1/2 tablespoon powdered white clay (also called kaolin, found in health food stores)
Take the Next Step
- Great things are happening on Pinterest! Visit our "Beauty on a Budget" board today!
- Create Spa-Quality Products for Fun & Profit at The Handcrafter's Companion
- Check out e.l.f. (eyes, lips, face) cosmetics for great deals on makeup.
- Subscribe to Surviving Tough Times email newsletter. Each week we'll give you practical survival tools for a challenging economy!
Trending on TDS
- Tools for reaching your goals Slideshow
- 4 ways to profit from a gift card you don't want
- Natural flea prevention
- Don't overspend on your wedding
- 8 ways to scam-proof your next vacation home rental
- Tips for profitable yard sale presentation
- Rent a garden plot
- Using lemons for your health and cleaning
- Garage Sales 101
- Taking professional quality photos with your cellphone
- Savings for singles
- 10 easy ways to get organized
- What's on sale in March
- 5 types of freebies you can snag today
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in March
- 5 dental scams that can put the bite on you
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- 5 cheap -- or even free -- ways to exercise