The Purpose of an Oxygen Sensor
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My mechanic says that I need to replace the oxygen sensors in my 1997 BMW. He really couldn't explain their function in English, so I was hoping that you could shed some light. Thanks for the help
The oxygen sensor senses how the engine is running based on the composition of the exhaust gas. If there is too much oxygen in the exhaust, then the engine is running too lean (add more fuel). If there is not enough oxygen in the exhaust, then the engine is running too rich (too much fuel). This sensor basically tells the on board computer what is happening so it can make the appropriate adjustments to the fuel mixture.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 7 ways to save on carpet cleaning
- DIY pool maintenance
- How to use the home loan comparison calculator
- Saving money with home maintenance Video
- Easy oven cleaning without harsh chemicals
- Get rid of roaches safely
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?