The Purpose of an Oxygen Sensor
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My mechanic says that I need to replace the oxygen sensors in my 1997 BMW. He really couldn't explain their function in English, so I was hoping that you could shed some light. Thanks for the help
The oxygen sensor senses how the engine is running based on the composition of the exhaust gas. If there is too much oxygen in the exhaust, then the engine is running too lean (add more fuel). If there is not enough oxygen in the exhaust, then the engine is running too rich (too much fuel). This sensor basically tells the on board computer what is happening so it can make the appropriate adjustments to the fuel mixture.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?