How to Clean Brass Fireplace Trim
Cleaning Brass Fireplace Trim
How to Clean a Stone Fireplace
Cleaning Brick Fireplaces
Two Dozen Uses for Baking Soda
Cleaning Brass Fireplace Trim
Do you have a suggestion for cleaning the brass trim around a glass door on a fireplace insert? I have used a cleaner made by Whisk, but it doesn't work well.
Lemon and Salt to Clean Brass Trim
Lemon juice and salt will clean most brass. Dip half a lemon into ordinary table salt and rub directly onto the area that needs cleaning. Alternatively, mix lemon juice and salt into a paste and rub onto the area with a cloth. For both options, the area will need to be wiped over with a damp cloth followed by a clean dry cloth to buff the shine up.
Bar Keeper's Friend Cleans Fireplace Trim
I have found that a product called Bar Keeper's Friend is the best! Recommended by a friend to clean my copper bottom pans, it's great for my brass things as well. You'll find it in the cleanser section of your grocery store. It's a cleanser, but it's not abrasive.
Bobbi in Olympia, WA
Answer for Cleaning Fireplace Brass Is in Your Refrigerator
The ladies that clean for the "How Clean Is Your House" show recommend Worcestershire sauce for cleaning brass.
Crystal in NH
Unusual Brass Trim Cleaner
Any kind of toothpaste is an excellent brass cleaner and silver polish, too!
Fireplace Trim Cleaned With Ketchup
Try plain ketchup. Put it on an old towel and wipe trim down. Leave on for a few minutes and rinse with a clean towel. It's cheap and easy!
Fireplace Brass Trim Twinkles
A polishing creme named Twinkle is the answer to this person's predicament. It's a product that actually does what it claims it will do! We have a copper coffee table that tarnishes quickly. Twinkle polishes it (and brass) so it looks like new and with minimal effort and mess. You just wipe the creme on with the enclosed applicator sponge and then wipe it off with a cloth dampened with hot water. I found Twinkle in the cleaning supplies section at our local grocery store.
This Brass Cleaner is Awesome!
There is an awesome product by Stanley Home Products. It is called Copper and Brass Cleaner. It is a liquid cleaner, so you can put it on a cloth and rub it on. Then take a damp clean cloth and rub it off. Dry it with another clean cloth. This cleaner is wonderful for anything brass or copper and it keeps the item clean longer than any cleaner I have ever known. You can locate a local dealer in the phone book or on their website www.shopstanley.com.
see The Ultimate Green Store - your one-stop green shopping destination
My mother does this to her brass front door handle about once a year and then sprays a clear lacquer on it afterward and it looks new again for months. On the fireplace door, I recommend taking it off if you can and then cover the glass with paper that is attached with masking tape. Spray it with the lacquer after cleaning it and then replace it.
Zelime of Fort Dix, NJ
Take the Next Step:
- Stink! Use SCOE 10X - The Odor Eliminator to remove the toughest of odors.
- Do you struggle to get ahead financially? Then you'll want to subscribe to our free weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter. Each issue of this html newsletter features great ways to help you stretch your dollars and make the most of your resources.
- Visit our Pinterest board for Homemade Cleaning Recipes.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor
Also in Home
- Cleaning the things that clean
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Buying a new furnace
- Recycling 'gray' water
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?