Ford Taurus' Flat Battery
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a problem with an intermittent flat battery on a 1995 Ford Taurus. Here are some numbers. Measurements were made with a DVM.
Battery Voltage (normal charging, engine running) 14 to 14.5 Volts
Battery Voltage (engine off) 12.7 to 13.2 Volts
Typical current drain (engine off) 7 mA
The 7 mA is probably maintenance current for the various computers (ECMs). It's also not nearly enough current to drain the battery overnight. Yet, this is a recurring problem. If the problem were a "hard short" or a solid "resistive short," I could troubleshoot this with a current meter, by pulling fuses and watching when the current stopped flowing, but that won't work in this case. I have removed all the interior lamps (65 mA each), and the problem is continuing. I am beginning to suspect one of the ECMs is behaving badly, perhaps turning lights on when no one is near the car. Since there's more than one ECM, it would be nice to know which one has gone bad. There's no point in replacing the ones that are okay. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this one? It's a new battery, so that's not likely to be the problem.
Hmm, it may be more simple. It simply could be a bad cell that is shorting or not holding a charge. Did you run a SG test on each cell (specific gravity)? This will tell you if a particular cell is having a problem. There may be some build up of sulfur on the plates). Be careful, though, when checking as it is acid and can cause harm if misused.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- Buying carpet for less
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Eliminating bed bugs
- Managing home projects
- Furnishing your first apartment
- 7 low-cost ways to beat the heat
- Happy homemaking the homemade way
- DIY furniture remakes
- Inexpensive ways to change color of laminate countertops
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?