5 Great Ways To Use Books in Decorating!
by Kathleen Wilson
Get the Pottery Barn Look for Less
Decorating with Collections
Top 10 Home Decorating Buys Under $10
Let's face it, most of us have more books laying around our homes than we can count. That's a good thing! Even if you are tired of the book clutter, I am going to show you some great "Budget Decorator" ways to tame the mess, and add charm and character to your rooms by using books as decorating accessories!
- Books add warmth to a room. Add a stack of books to a tabletop, kitchen counter, or fireplace hearth. Use odd numbers of books for the best result.
- Instead of just packing your bookshelves full, try treating your books as an art form. Leave space between stacks of books, stack some vertically and some horizontally. Place contrasting objects throughout the bookcase such as plants, ceramics, collectibles, or framed photos.
- Use children's books creatively in their rooms also. Display their books so they are easily accessible to encourage reading. Use books, letters, and words as a room theme for a child who loves to read. Paint or decoupage onto the wall book covers, the alphabet, and words.
- Find old books from a garage sale and glue them together in a sturdy stack to make legs for a side table. Place a round of glass from a discount store on top!
- Don't be afraid to display a favorite book open on a tabletop, turned to a favorite passage. Guests in your home will get a glimpse into your personality, and you will smile every time you stop to read a page!
Books are a wonderful addition to our homes, and displaying them lovingly is a wonderful example to our children. Also a tight budget way to add charm to any room!
Kathleen Wilson is the author of Quick Decorating Ideas Under $20: The Budget Decorator's Bible, which recently spent time at #1 on Amazon.com's Home and Garden Top Seller List. You can find more great free ideas and info on her book and workshop at TheBudgetDecorator.com
Take the Next Step
- For more frugal decorating ideas, click here
Discuss "Decorating with Books" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Also in Home
- DIY backyard waterfall
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Do-it-yourself home remodeling on the cheap
- Simple steps to lower your water and sewer bills
- Decorating with yard sale finds
- Managing your mortgage
- The cheapskate's guide to flooring
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 6 energy-saving projects for your home
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- How much equity can you cash out of your home?
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?