Heat and Gas Usage
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
5 Ways to Prepare Your Car for Winter
Plan for Winter's Worst
3 Timely Tips for Cold-Weather Car Care
I was involved in an argument about whether cars burn more gas when the heater is on. Is that true? Do cars burn more gas when using the heater? If not, was there ever a time when they did? I appreciate the information.
When using the heater? No. When using the A/C, yes, maybe. The heat is just taken from the temperature built up from the coolant. To run the A/C, a compressor needs to be driven which adds load to the engine (However small it may be). The only thing that uses power in the heater system is the electric used to power the fan.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Take the Next Step
- For more money-saving auto articles, check out The Dollar Stretcher Auto Section.
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. Compare them now to find the best one for you.
- Are you getting the best auto insurance rate? See how much you could save with one click. Fast, free quotes, online comparisons, and instant access to ID cards!
- Before you buy or sell a vehicle, get all the facts. Edmunds.com will give you what you need to know to make a confident deal.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Winter energy saving ideas for renters
- How to control carpenter ants
- 3 things you need to know about free firewood
- Essential fall home repairs
- Fill your home with things that you love
- Organize your garage
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?