Heat and Gas Usage
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
5 Ways to Prepare Your Car for Winter
Plan for Winter's Worst
3 Timely Tips for Cold-Weather Car Care
I was involved in an argument about whether cars burn more gas when the heater is on. Is that true? Do cars burn more gas when using the heater? If not, was there ever a time when they did? I appreciate the information.
When using the heater? No. When using the A/C, yes, maybe. The heat is just taken from the temperature built up from the coolant. To run the A/C, a compressor needs to be driven which adds load to the engine (However small it may be). The only thing that uses power in the heater system is the electric used to power the fan.
Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare themGood Luck!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Take the Next Step
- For more money-saving auto articles, check out The Dollar Stretcher Auto Section.
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. Compare them now to find the best one for you.
- Are you getting the best auto insurance rate? See how much you could save with one click. Fast, free quotes, online comparisons, and instant access to ID cards!
- Before you buy or sell a vehicle, get all the facts. Edmunds.com will give you what you need to know to make a confident deal.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Your trickiest cleaning problems solved
- How to eliminate mosquitos for less Insider Report
- Choosing a roadside assistance plan
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?