Winter Nature Walks
by Nita Holstine
Frugal Ways to Beat Winter Blahs
Surviving Winter Break
Wintertime has most of our trees bare and looking dead. Weather permitting, it can be a great adventure in the out of doors.
This is most fun if enjoyed with a youngster or two at your side. Pick a route or area with lots of trees. Noting that the trees are now barren of leaves, point out all the bird nests that are now visible. It is so much fun to suddenly spot a really big nest. We have lots of hawks and other big birds that make huge nests. You won't have to worry about the kiddos handling the discovered treasure or wanting to take it home.
If time permits, have some good sightings lined up and then you can lead your young hikers and be delighted when they make the find. Binoculars are wonderful if they don't have to share or can share without fighting. The main thing is to enjoy. Talk about how birds live in nests, gather seeds and nuts to eat, find water and such things.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
We're still paying off last Christmas and worry how we'll afford the holidays this year without charging it again! Tell us: Yes, we could use help getting out of the debt trap we're in! or No, debt is not a problem for us but I'm always looking for ways to trim my family's expenses further!
More Money-Saving Tips for Families
- Best September bargains for thrifty shoppers
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Start now and have a stress free Christmas later
- Raising money for your school, church or non-profit group
- Inexpensive storybook costume ideas
- Organizing the disorganized mom
- This week's Readers' Tips