Winter Nature Walks
by Nita Holstine
Frugal Ways to Beat Winter Blahs
Surviving Winter Break
Wintertime has most of our trees bare and looking dead. Weather permitting, it can be a great adventure in the out of doors.
This is most fun if enjoyed with a youngster or two at your side. Pick a route or area with lots of trees. Noting that the trees are now barren of leaves, point out all the bird nests that are now visible. It is so much fun to suddenly spot a really big nest. We have lots of hawks and other big birds that make huge nests. You won't have to worry about the kiddos handling the discovered treasure or wanting to take it home.
If time permits, have some good sightings lined up and then you can lead your young hikers and be delighted when they make the find. Binoculars are wonderful if they don't have to share or can share without fighting. The main thing is to enjoy. Talk about how birds live in nests, gather seeds and nuts to eat, find water and such things.
Nita Holstine is the Editor of PhancyPages. Visit www.phancypages.com and subscribe to our free email newsletter. Too many topics to list. Come to learn or to teach.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- Legitimate work-at-home job opportunities in the education arena
- Natural congestion remedies
- Why reuseable snack bags make sense Giveaway
- Family Halloween costumes
- A teen clothing allowance
- Halloween on a dime
- Beating the high cost of bedwetting
- 6 things to consider before taking on the care of elderly parents
- 6 ways to get free movies and discounts
- October deals at the supermarket and beyond
- Why women are dropping out of the workforce
- 5 colleges where your kid can go to school for free
- 6 secrets to saving more at discount stores
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator