Winter Nature Walks
by Nita Holstine
Frugal Ways to Beat Winter Blahs
Surviving Winter Break
Wintertime has most of our trees bare and looking dead. Weather permitting, it can be a great adventure in the out of doors.
This is most fun if enjoyed with a youngster or two at your side. Pick a route or area with lots of trees. Noting that the trees are now barren of leaves, point out all the bird nests that are now visible. It is so much fun to suddenly spot a really big nest. We have lots of hawks and other big birds that make huge nests. You won't have to worry about the kiddos handling the discovered treasure or wanting to take it home.
If time permits, have some good sightings lined up and then you can lead your young hikers and be delighted when they make the find. Binoculars are wonderful if they don't have to share or can share without fighting. The main thing is to enjoy. Talk about how birds live in nests, gather seeds and nuts to eat, find water and such things.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- 13 ways to pull your kids away from technology this summer
- Family reunion food
- Baby toys you can make
- 9 tools for getting and staying organized
- Making ends meet as a single parent
- Kid friendly vacations on a tank of gas
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in July
- 5 ways kids learn and earn from Minecraft
- 5 ideas for a kid-free mom cave
- In your 30s with kids? You need life insurance
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator