His Car Ticks
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My 1998 Toyota T100 V6 with 120K miles started making a subtle ticking noise coming from the right front of the engine today. I noticed this when idling (and at the exact same moment the car started to idle roughly). The truck still had the same amount of power, but when I would rev the motor, the ticking would get louder.
I checked the oil (it was a quart low) and filled it up. It still made the same noise. The oil pressure was slightly low. I decided to take the truck for a very slow and easy drive around the block, after five minutes the ticking noise turned into a much louder popping noise (sounding like air was being blown out of my engine). The car started to idle much rougher at this point and I limped it home (never going over 5 mph). I have a feeling I blew a head gasket. If that is what it is, how much should a garage charge me to fix it?
It may not be that bad. You may have worn out your EGR tube. This is a system on a car that recirculates exhaust gases back into the engine. This is supposed to help reduce pollution. If the tube that connects the exhaust to the valve breaks, it may cause a problem.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How to hire an affordable, reliable housesitter
- Helping your adult children with housing
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Installing bathroom in-floor heat
- Natural homemade laundry soap recipes
- How to reduce heating bills this winter
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?