His Car Ticks
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My 1998 Toyota T100 V6 with 120K miles started making a subtle ticking noise coming from the right front of the engine today. I noticed this when idling (and at the exact same moment the car started to idle roughly). The truck still had the same amount of power, but when I would rev the motor, the ticking would get louder.
I checked the oil (it was a quart low) and filled it up. It still made the same noise. The oil pressure was slightly low. I decided to take the truck for a very slow and easy drive around the block, after five minutes the ticking noise turned into a much louder popping noise (sounding like air was being blown out of my engine). The car started to idle much rougher at this point and I limped it home (never going over 5 mph). I have a feeling I blew a head gasket. If that is what it is, how much should a garage charge me to fix it?
It may not be that bad. You may have worn out your EGR tube. This is a system on a car that recirculates exhaust gases back into the engine. This is supposed to help reduce pollution. If the tube that connects the exhaust to the valve breaks, it may cause a problem.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- DIY backyard waterfall
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Do-it-yourself home remodeling on the cheap
- Simple steps to lower your water and sewer bills
- Decorating with yard sale finds
- Managing your mortgage
- The cheapskate's guide to flooring
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 6 energy-saving projects for your home
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- How much equity can you cash out of your home?
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?