Are You Having Ups and Downs in the Job Search?
by Marilyn J. Tellez, M.A
Here is a description of what you may be feeling? Check on your feelings now about the whole process?
- You endlessly procrastinate.
- You study about the process. (There is much thinking about action taking place in your head.)
- You make excuses for yourself. (I need a vacation, not a job search. I have many household chores to do, so I can't be looking for a job. This is similar to procrastination.)
Here we'll switch from what YOU do to what I am not doing.
- I made some phone calls, but no one is hiring.
- I talked to my friends and family members about my situation, but they are not helping enough.
- I might just have a drink to calm myself.
- I have had a big fight with my spouse about my not getting a job.
- I'm really angry about not getting hired and about those who let me go from the last job. (Anger is rolling around in the mind and emotions. However, there is no action to relieve it).
- I don't have any skills. I need to go back to school to get some, but I'm an adult with responsibilities at home. I can't do it.
- I'll never get hired. I want to give up.
I started this article with what YOU as the person is doing and went to what I am not doing to help myself. Hooray! That is the key to having so many "downs" and not a lot of "ups."
Action! Action! Action! That's the primary key to getting those pesky downs out of the way. And, a plan! Planning on action to make the difficult seem easy and the ups come your way. Many of the troubles described above have the aura of self-esteem issues. Make that plan! Write it down! Get a pal to be with to support you. Celebrate those up times! And, don't let anything or anyone get you "down"!
Marilyn J. Tellez, M.A. (email@example.com) helps people get back into the working world. If you're stopped in your tracks and not sure which way to go, contact her and start making progress again. Contact her for the answer to one free question.
Take the Next Step
Trending on TDS
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What's on sale in October
- 5 ways kids learn and earn from Minecraft
- Bad with money? Teach your kids to get it right
- How to help your children retire millionaires
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Readers share their Halloween costumes Slideshow
- Improve your marriage without expensive counseling
- 10 affordable father-daughter dates
- 10 ways to reduce college costs for your kids
- Top 5 tips for packing a healthier lunchbox
- Money-saving ideas for working moms
- 5 teen bedroom decorating tips
- Pursuing your dream of staying home with your children
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator