Show them you care
Affordable Teen Valentine's Gifts
by Patti Chadwick
Fun Valentine's Day Foods
Kids Valentines Ideas
Affordable Teen Activities for a Family on a Tight Budget
I know Valentine's Day is billed as a day for lovers, but what better time to show your love for your kids than on this day that has symbolized affection throughout the centuries.
Kids are always thrilled to receive gifts even (or should I say especially!) teenagers! There are many little things that you can give them for Valentine's Day that don't cost a mint, yet say "I love you" in a tangible way.
- Chocolate heart sucker from a gourmet candy store.
- A pair of seasonal (hearts, flowers) socks.
- A pair of heart boxers for guys or gals!
- A single rose in a bud vase.
- Heart-shaped sugar cookies.
- A heart-shaped cake.
- Make a "red" meal for dinner (i.e. Pizza or Pasta w/sauce, with Cranapple juice, and raspberry sherbet for dessert!)
- Take your teen on a movie date.
- Give your teen a note to get out of school for lunch and take them out to their favorite fast-food restaurant.
- A heart-shaped box of chocolates.
- A bag of snickers (or their favorite candy bars)
- Make cherry Jell-O fruit salad.
- Write your teen a "love note," telling them how special they are to you.
Look over the list to see if there is something you can use to make Valentine's Day special for your teen. But don't stop there. Be creative and come up with your own ideas!
Patricia Chadwick is a freelance writer and has been a stay-at-home mom for 16 years. She is currently a columnist in several online publications as well as editor of two newsletters. Parents & Teens is a twice-monthly newsletter geared to help parents connect with their teens. Subscribe at ParentsAndTeens.com. History's Women is weekly online magazine highlighting the extraordinary achievements of women. Subscribe at HistorysWomen.com.
Take the Next Step:
- Celebrate Valentine's Day the frugal way with these gift and date ideas both your Valentine and your budget will love.
- Let your teen have some fun with one of these mother-approved fun activities for teens.
- It's tough raising kids today! You need every time and money saving idea you can find. That's why you'll want to get our free weekly Dollar Stretcher for Parents newsletter. You'll find great ideas designed just for parents that will help your family 'live better...for less'! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
We're still paying off last Christmas and worry how we'll afford the holidays this year without charging it again! Tell us: Yes, we could use help getting out of the debt trap we're in! or No, debt is not a problem for us but I'm always looking for ways to trim my family's expenses further!