Reading Sensor Codes
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My friend has a 1994 Nissan Sentra that stopped running. He had someone look at it, but they couldn't figure it out. When I looked at it, I found that the negative wire was loose. We replaced the battery, battery terminals, air filter and fuel filter. It ran perfect for three days, but now the check engine light is on and it won't turn off. I've changed these things before all at once on Fords and Chevrolets and I have never had this problem. I was hoping that you could advise if this is tied to anything we did or just perhaps a sensor. Also, please advise on how to get it checked on a 1994 Nissan Sentra as no one seems to be able to check them before 1996.
Most likely a sensor went out. I doubt it had anything to do with your work, unless you accidentally disconnected something without realizing it. You can get a code scanner for pre-96 imports from almost any major part supplier (PepBoys, AutoZone, etc.)
Retrieve the code and replace the malfunctioning part. Clear the code. Drive the car and check for reoccurrence of check engine light. Re-scan with tool.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Cleaning the things that clean
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Buying a new furnace
- Recycling 'gray' water
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?