Reading Sensor Codes
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My friend has a 1994 Nissan Sentra that stopped running. He had someone look at it, but they couldn't figure it out. When I looked at it, I found that the negative wire was loose. We replaced the battery, battery terminals, air filter and fuel filter. It ran perfect for three days, but now the check engine light is on and it won't turn off. I've changed these things before all at once on Fords and Chevrolets and I have never had this problem. I was hoping that you could advise if this is tied to anything we did or just perhaps a sensor. Also, please advise on how to get it checked on a 1994 Nissan Sentra as no one seems to be able to check them before 1996.
Most likely a sensor went out. I doubt it had anything to do with your work, unless you accidentally disconnected something without realizing it. You can get a code scanner for pre-96 imports from almost any major part supplier (PepBoys, AutoZone, etc.)
Retrieve the code and replace the malfunctioning part. Clear the code. Drive the car and check for reoccurrence of check engine light. Re-scan with tool.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Natural homemade laundry soap
- How to buy a Christmas tree
- Preparing for a snow storm
- How to reduce heating bills
- Corian countertop repair
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?