Saving Money is Fun
by Sarah Delaporte
My Story: Just Start
6 Squirrely Ways to Save
Saving money is not always easy, but approached the right way, it can become a hobby that's enjoyable as well as beneficial.
I am going to share some steps I have found to stretch your finances, while enjoying the process.
Tip 1: Relax. Relax, relax, and again I say, relax. Don't count each penny you save and worry about how much you save. Does it really matter if this week you saved $1.92 compared to $1.93 on a meal. Yes, every penny matters, but sometimes the amount is so minimal it's not crucial.
Tip 2: Budget. This is always good advice, but sometimes it's hard to do.
Tip 3: Make saving money detective work. Uncover the sleuth in you. If you look at money saved as unfound treasure, you will find the process exhilarating! There's always a new way to save that you have yet to discover. Search for it.
Tip 4: Involve your kids in saving. Play games with them that show them how to use money wisely. Money Matters is a game by Larry Burkett that does just that. Another way is to encourage them to cut coupons. When you do this, give them a percentage of how much money you save when you use the coupons that they cut.
When you make pinching pennies a hobby instead of a chore, you will save your family more money and you'll find it exciting, too!
Sarah Delaporte is with Freebie Coupon Corner. Imagine Free Groceries In Your Shopping Cart! www.couponcorner.net
Take the Next Step
- Subscribe to Surviving Tough Times email newsletter. Each week we'll give you practical survival tools for a challenging economy!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- 5 ways to prevent elderly relatives from throwing away money
- Couple's finances: Should you combine or keep money separate?
- The difference between credit and debit
- Before you hunt for a job
- How to adjust your financial plan for the new year
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- Traditional IRA vs. Roth IRA
- Tips for boosting your credit score
- 7 times you can save money by spending money
- Negotiating your next raise
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal