courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have been told to disconnect the headlights that are on day and night when the car is turned on. I know that they are a safety feature, but I have been told they wear out the alternator really quickly. Comments?
The lamps that you are referring to are called Day Time Running Lamps. If the car came equipped with this feature from the manufacturer, then nothing needs to be done as the added load of the lights running was taken into account when the electrical system was designed. However, if they were added as an after-market item, then it is possible that they could over burden the alternator.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive maintenance section and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?