An Octane Question
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '93 Camry that the manual says requires 87 octane or higher. Most places I've lived that was the regular grade. Where I live now, the regular grade is 85, mid 88 and premium 91. Would it be safe to use the 85 (is it just a calculation difference like only reporting MON, not R+M/2) or do I need to use the 88?
Motor Octane number (MON) would be a lot lower than 85 if that is all they were reporting. Do you live in an area that has a different altitude than where you lived before? If the book calls for 87, that means the ignition timing has been adjusted for that type of fuel (there are other factors, but ignition timing is the main). Going one unit higher will not hurt anything, but going lower may cause some run on or pinging.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?