The Secret Code of Bread
contributed by a Fellow Frugalite
I thought this was interesting. I looked in the grocery store and the bread wrappers do have different colored twist ties, and even the ones with the plastic clips have different colors. You learn something new everyday!
When buying bread in the grocery store, have you ever wondered which is the freshest, so you "squeeze" for freshness or softness? Did you know that bread is delivered fresh to the stores five days a week? It's delivered on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. And each day has a different color twist tie. They are as follows:
Monday - Blue
Tuesday - Green
Thursday - Red
Friday - White
Saturday - Yellow
So today being a Thursday, I wanted a red twist tie, not white, which is Friday (almost a week old?). The colors go alphabetically by color. For instance, blue, green, red, white, and yellow stand for Monday through Saturday respectively. Very easy to remember! Some of the clips now come with an actual date on them to further assist you in determining bread freshness. Check with your local grocer or bread supplier to make sure this is the system in use in your area and enjoy fresh bread when you buy bread with the right color on the day you are shopping.
Take the Next Step:
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- Is your family normal? See how other households spend their money
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Where to find the best deals in February
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- $10 for peace of mind for your family
- How not to fight about money
- When you just don't have money to feed your family
- What every stay-at-home mom should know about her financial future
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator