The Secret Code of Bread
contributed by a Fellow Frugalite
I thought this was interesting. I looked in the grocery store and the bread wrappers do have different colored twist ties, and even the ones with the plastic clips have different colors. You learn something new everyday!
When buying bread in the grocery store, have you ever wondered which is the freshest, so you "squeeze" for freshness or softness? Did you know that bread is delivered fresh to the stores five days a week? It's delivered on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. And each day has a different color twist tie. They are as follows:
Monday - Blue
Tuesday - Green
Thursday - Red
Friday - White
Saturday - Yellow
So today being a Thursday, I wanted a red twist tie, not white, which is Friday (almost a week old?). The colors go alphabetically by color. For instance, blue, green, red, white, and yellow stand for Monday through Saturday respectively. Very easy to remember! Some of the clips now come with an actual date on them to further assist you in determining bread freshness. Check with your local grocer or bread supplier to make sure this is the system in use in your area and enjoy fresh bread when you buy bread with the right color on the day you are shopping.
Take the Next Step:
- Print FREE Coupons at Home at Coupons.com . You'll also find some more printable coupons here.
- Your groceries cost less when you get cash back! Checkout 51 can show you how!
- Once you trim the grocery budget, don't waste that extra money! Consider opening a savings account to start an emergency fund or save for some other financial goal.
- We are always finding new ways to help you trim food costs. Visit our food & groceries section each week to get tips for keeping more of your hard-earned dollars in your pocket.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Families
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Sizzling savings: The 10 best deals in July
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- 6 fun, family-friendly kitchen activities that will save you money
- Save money sending your child to college
- 200+ ideas for frugal summertime (or anytime!) fun
- This week's Readers' Tips