My Story: Moving Made Easy
contributed by Liz
When Move You Must, Affordable Movers You Can Trust
The Organized Move
I have moved several times, on my own. Sometimes I've used a mover, and sometimes I've rented a U-Haul truck. One thing I learned to do first was to pack an apartment in a box. On two occasions, I moved into an apartment first and got my gear from the old place on the next weekend. On the theory that I would not have everything in place in time, or that movers would be delayed, I packed an "Instant Apartment" box that held the following items.
- a comforter that doubled as a mattress if the weather was warmer.
- one blanket in case it wasn't
For the kitchen
- set of dishes that includes a bowl, butter plate, dinner plate and a mug, as well as a place setting of eating implements
- tall and short glass
- pan suitable for cooking pasta/macaroni/soup
- utility kitchen knife
- utility spoon
- measuring spoons and a measuring cup
- can opener
- two or three kitchen towels
- new kitchen soap and scrubbies
For the bathroom
- set of towels
- four-pack of toilet paper
- fresh bar of soap
- fresh bottle of shampoo and conditioner
- utility cup that can act as a toothbrush holder until you get organized
On later, shorter moves, I did the same thing for one-box bedrooms and instant basic kitchens and bathrooms. If nothing else, it gave us the basics while we sorted through boxes. And on my single-person moves, the above packed into a box that I could get into my apartment on my own, since I didn't know anyone yet in the neighborhood.
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money please send it by mailto:MyStory@stretcher.com
Take the Next Step
- If you haven't looked for a lower mortgage rate in the past year you could be wasting money each month. Use our simple tool that compares different lenders to see what your monthly mortgage payment could be. It's private, only takes a minute and could show you how to save thousands!
Also in Home
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Natural homemade laundry soap
- How to buy a Christmas tree
- Preparing for a snow storm
- How to reduce heating bills
- Corian countertop repair
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?