My Story: Moving Made Easy
contributed by Liz
When Move You Must, Affordable Movers You Can Trust
The Organized Move
I have moved several times, on my own. Sometimes I've used a mover, and sometimes I've rented a U-Haul truck. One thing I learned to do first was to pack an apartment in a box. On two occasions, I moved into an apartment first and got my gear from the old place on the next weekend. On the theory that I would not have everything in place in time, or that movers would be delayed, I packed an "Instant Apartment" box that held the following items.
- a comforter that doubled as a mattress if the weather was warmer.
- one blanket in case it wasn't
For the kitchen
- set of dishes that includes a bowl, butter plate, dinner plate and a mug, as well as a place setting of eating implements
- tall and short glass
- pan suitable for cooking pasta/macaroni/soup
- utility kitchen knife
- utility spoon
- measuring spoons and a measuring cup
- can opener
- two or three kitchen towels
- new kitchen soap and scrubbies
For the bathroom
- set of towels
- four-pack of toilet paper
- fresh bar of soap
- fresh bottle of shampoo and conditioner
- utility cup that can act as a toothbrush holder until you get organized
On later, shorter moves, I did the same thing for one-box bedrooms and instant basic kitchens and bathrooms. If nothing else, it gave us the basics while we sorted through boxes. And on my single-person moves, the above packed into a box that I could get into my apartment on my own, since I didn't know anyone yet in the neighborhood.
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money please send it by mailto:MyStory@stretcher.com
Take the Next Step
- If you haven't looked for a lower mortgage rate in the past year you could be wasting money each month. Use our simple tool that compares different lenders to see what your monthly mortgage payment could be. It's private, only takes a minute and could show you how to save thousands!
Also in Home
- DIY backyard waterfall
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Do-it-yourself home remodeling on the cheap
- Simple steps to lower your water and sewer bills
- Decorating with yard sale finds
- Managing your mortgage
- The cheapskate's guide to flooring
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 6 energy-saving projects for your home
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- How much equity can you cash out of your home?
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?