My Story: Could Spring Come Early?
contributed by Teresa Randall
Spring Cleaning the Natural Way
Spring Cleaning the Frugal Way
Just 4 Ingredients
Start with getting rid of clutter. Overcrowded rooms feel stuffy and cramped, not light and airy. Carry a trash bag through your home and look for things such as old calendars, last year's magazines, a pair of worn slippers, an old bathrobe, cracked coffee mugs, dusty wreaths, and faded newspapers. Aim for 10 items to throw away per room. Get rid of these things now.
Next, start with a good window washing. Old t-shirt material is soft and absorbent for cleaning windows and sills. Use dollar store window cleaner or make your own with a bit of vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Clean the insides of every window you can reach safely.
Take up your lamb's wool duster and dust the ceilings (if you can reach them) and walls, plus the mini-blinds, baseboards, and shelves. No need for expensive cleaning products; if the dust is thick, use a clean rag lightly dampened only with warm water.
Vacuum after dusting, and don't just zip through the house. Make a few slow passes over each section of carpet to allow the vacuum to pick up imbedded dirt. Change the bag after you're through.
Make all the beds in the house, and empty every trash can. Round up all the dirty laundry and corral near the washer/dryer (or in a closet). Spend 60 seconds (yes, only 60 seconds) with a sponge and cleanser (baking soda works fine) on each sink in the house, and dry the faucets when you're through.
Light a scented candle and forget about the storm outside. Your home gleams with freshness and makes you feel as if spring is here already.
Teresa Randall is a wife, mother, former language teacher, and a professional home organizer. Her book Better Than Feng Shui is available this year. For more information, write email@example.com.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Winter energy saving ideas for renters
- How to control carpenter ants
- 3 things you need to know about free firewood
- Essential fall home repairs
- Fill your home with things that you love
- Organize your garage
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?