Installing a Sewage Pump
Septic System Crisis
Preventing Block Sewers
Roots Block Sewer Pipe
We want to put a toilet, sink and shower in an out building that is over 100 feet from a sewer connection and is a foot lower in grade. The building department requires the waste pipe be buried 18 inches. What should we do?
MP from Pasadena, CA
This is not a desirable problem but hardly unusual. In my hilly neighborhood, many homes are built on mountainsides with the septic tanks and/or fields located uphill. You will need to install a sewage pump, in coordination with a sump, to move the waste up to the sewer line.
There are a few manufacturers that produce these products. Visit the Zoeller Pump Company site to see the types of pump kits available. http://www.zoeller.com/
Of course, your pump must be sized to move the waste the distance necessary. Also, check valves (also know as "backflow" valves) must be installed to keep sewage from reentering the sump and the building.
for tools and supplies for your home improvement project Shop at AceHardware.com
As to where the pump should be installed and the precise specifications for pipe depths and the check valves, you need to get some help from a local plumber or the building inspector. Depending on your local plumbing code, you may even be able to do this yourself with proper permits.
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here naturalhandyman.com/aitikia. For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links naturalhandyman.com. If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page naturalhandyman.com/friends.
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at naturalhandyman.com/contest. Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Take the Next Step
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?