Power Steering Problems
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have an '88 Ford F-350 in which I just installed a new power steering pump. Turning to the left is no problem. However, turning to the right is another story. I dropped the vibration damper to see if that could be the problem to no avail. Your help is appreciated.
Hmm, this sounds very familiar. We were working on something just like this recently. However, I don't think it was a truck. If memory serves, in our case, the trouble was with the steering rack. I don't think the '88 Ford trucks had racks though. They had just the usual steering box. Did you purge the line before you put the new pump in service? Basically, do a two-stage purge. First, clear out the pump before connecting it to the box (take the line, put it in a can, fill tank, and start engine shortly). This gets out any debris that might be in the pump from the manufacturing process. Second, purge the box. Before connecting the return line to the pump, put it in a can, fill tank, start engine, and spin wheel lock to lock. If fluid comes out clean, you are good to go.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 5 reasons to consider living in a tiny house
- Homemade cleanser recipes
- Free fireplace logs
- Updating vinyl blinds for less
- When you can't afford housing repairs
- Winterizing your apartment
- Preventing an annual visit from the rooter guy
- Fall care for your fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- APR and mortgage rate: What you need to know
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?