Power Steering Problems
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have an '88 Ford F-350 in which I just installed a new power steering pump. Turning to the left is no problem. However, turning to the right is another story. I dropped the vibration damper to see if that could be the problem to no avail. Your help is appreciated.
Hmm, this sounds very familiar. We were working on something just like this recently. However, I don't think it was a truck. If memory serves, in our case, the trouble was with the steering rack. I don't think the '88 Ford trucks had racks though. They had just the usual steering box. Did you purge the line before you put the new pump in service? Basically, do a two-stage purge. First, clear out the pump before connecting it to the box (take the line, put it in a can, fill tank, and start engine shortly). This gets out any debris that might be in the pump from the manufacturing process. Second, purge the box. Before connecting the return line to the pump, put it in a can, fill tank, start engine, and spin wheel lock to lock. If fluid comes out clean, you are good to go.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?