Saving Money on Lodging
by Marenda Babcock
Get Away on the Cheap
Saving on lodging while traveling may not be as difficult as it sounds. It does take some planning, fortitude and perseverance. Here are some tips that have helped our family save big bucks on our vacation budget.
Drive a Little and Save a Lot
Staying even 20 miles away from a vacation spot can save you 20 to 30% on your hotel bill. Multiply that savings over several days and it is like getting one night free.
A Room with a View
Rooms that have a view of an ocean, for instance, are more desirable than one of a parking lot. If you aren't given a slight discount for your view of a parking lot, ask for one.
Negotiate a Cheaper Price
Here are some things to consider before negotiating for a better hotel rate:
Look at the parking lot before entering the hotel. Does it look full or almost empty? An empty parking lot tells you the hotel is almost empty.
Are you checking in on the weekend or during the week? Hotels are more eager to negotiate during the week than they are on the weekend.
Always ask for a discount. The word "No" doesn't hurt.
Ask for a discount if checking in late at night.
Ask for a discount if you're paying cash.
Ask for an extended stay discount.
Ask for a discount if you are asked to take a smoking room instead of a non-smoking room.
- Negotiate with the manager only. He/She is the only one who is able to discount the room substantially.
Find a hotel that offers a free breakfast. Be realistic. A continental breakfast for four is worth no more than $5, so don't pay $20 more for a hotel to get it. Instead opt for the cheaper hotel and buy your own donuts, juice and milk from a grocery store.
Take the Next Step
- Is debt preventing you from taking your family on their dream vacation? Take a look at our FREE debt course and start working your way out of debt today so you can provide your family that vacation tomorrow.
- Find all of your vacation needs at Expedia.com
- Do you struggle to get ahead financially? Then you'll want to subscribe to our free weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter aimed at helping you 'live better...for less'. Each issue features great ways to help you stretch your dollars and make the most of your resources. Subscribers get a copy of Are You Heading for Debt Trouble? A Simple Checklist And What You Can Do About It for FREE!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor
We're still paying off last Christmas and worry how we'll afford the holidays this year without charging it again! Tell us: Yes, we could use help getting out of the debt trap we're in! or No, debt is not a problem for us but I'm always looking for ways to trim my family's expenses further!
Money-Saving Tools for Families
Trending This Week
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Is the economy killing fatherhood?
- How much does the Tooth Fairy leave at your house?
- Teaching kids how to do basic home repairs
- Finding new childcare solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips