courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
What should I do with a Neon that no longer goes in reverse? I'm not mechanically inclined, and I am concerned about this problem. Will it cost me a lot of money to fix? Or is it not worth it? The car has 96,500 miles on it, and it runs fine forward. What should I do?
'95 Neon owner.
Hi Neon owner,
Well, you will need to do two things. First, determine the value of your car. Then, get an estimate on repairs. Transmissions repairs are always funny. They always seem to run at the top end of the quote range. For instance, if the shop says "somewhere between $1000 and $1500," more likely than not, you will end up at the $1500 spot. Prices vary from location to location. What a shop charges in my area might be different in yours. However, somewhere in that range is what you might expect to hear. Now, is the car worth that much to repair? That is the million-dollar question!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Cleaning coffee stains on carpeting
- Is it a DIY job? How to tell
- Don't kill your small engine!
- Choosing a new freezer
- Laundry the old-fashioned way
- Applying engineering techniques to pesky household problems
- 25 tips and tricks for an organized move
- Tiling a shower stall
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?