10 ways to turn macaroni and cheese into dinner
Macaroni and Cheese Magic
by Rhiana Graves
The $10 Gourmet Meal
Homemade Convenience Food
When the end of the month comes around, and grocery money is dwindling down to pennies, it's time to start using what's on hand to fill out those menu plans. You might want to consider stocking up on boxed macaroni and cheese and keeping it on hand for penny-pinching days.
Here are 10 super easy ways to make Macaroni and Cheese into dinner (serves 2-4).
Prepare the Macaroni and Cheese according to the directions on the box, and then choose one of the following options:
- Chili Mac: Add a can of chili.
- Tuna Mac: Add a can of tuna and a can of peas or corn.
- Mexican Mac: Add 1/2 a cup of salsa and a can of beans (black, pinto or red beans work well).
- Ranch Chicken Mac: Add one cooked diced chicken breast, 1/2 of an onion and 1/4 cup Ranch Dressing.
- Potato Mac: Stir in leftover hash browns or fried potatoes from breakfast.
- Seafood Mac: Stir in one cup of cocktail shrimp or imitation crab.
- Veggie Mac: Add one can of mixed vegetables
- March Mac: Add one cup diced corned beef (canned or leftover) and one cup of diced boiled potatoes.
- Barbecue Mac: Add 1/4 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce and 1/2 package of chopped hot dogs.
- Spam Mac: Add one package of diced fried Spam of any flavor.
Rhiana Graves is a freelance writer for several ezines and websites. She currently makes her living as an Inside Sales Representative in Phoenix, Arizona. She can be emailed at email@example.com
Take the Next Step:
- Your groceries cost less when you get cash back! Checkout 51 can show you how!
- We are always finding new ways to help you trim food costs. Visit our food & groceries section each week to get tips for keeping more of your hard-earned dollars in your pocket.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
We're still paying off last Christmas and worry how we'll afford the holidays this year without charging it again! Tell us: Yes, we could use help getting out of the debt trap we're in! or No, debt is not a problem for us but I'm always looking for ways to trim my family's expenses further!
More Money-Saving Tips for Families
- Snap up these 9 deals in August
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Choosing a guardian for your child
- 3 fun party ideas your nearly teen will love
- How much do kids need to know about the family budget?
- This week's Readers' Tips