Insider's Report: Store Brands
contributed by Claire
Fight Higher Grocery Bills
Brand vs. Generic
Reduce Your Food Budget
I live in Australia and work in the food manufacturing industry. I am not sure if it is the same as in the USA, but I am sure that it has many similar points. I would like to make some comments that are relevant to food manufacturing in Australia:
- Many generic/house/own brand products are made by major manufacturers and just packaged as the generic brand.
- Generic/house/own brands may use a lower quality of raw materials. For instance, instead of prime quality meat in a meat pie, they may use budget quality meat.
- There may be a higher level of "filler ingredient" in the product as many filler ingredients such as sugar, salt, flour, etc. are cheaper than the main ingredient. For instance, the same meat pie may have more vegetables than meat included because vegetables tend to be cheaper than meat.
- In Australia, we have nutritional panels and ingredient lists on our packaging as does the USA. These can be used to compare the quantity of ingredients, as the ingredients are listed in descending order of quantity.
- In fact, in Australia now, the major/characterizing ingredient has to have its percentage content included in the ingredient list. For example, in a blackberry tart, the percentage of blackberries included in the product must be shown. There may be 5% blackberries in total and they might be the fifth listed ingredient in the list.
- Another example is chocolate biscuits. Generic/house/own brand are often substantially cheaper but are not coated in real chocolate. They are coated in compound, which is a form of chocolate that has substantially less or no cocoa butter in the chocolate. This can also be checked by using the ingredient list.
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money please send it to MyStory@stretcher.com
Take the Next Step
- Check out e.l.f. (eyes, lips, face) cosmetics for great deals on makeup.
- Visit our Pinterest board for Beauty on a Budget
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor. Do you have an idea that wasn't included in the article? Tell us about it: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- Natural wound care Speonsored Review & Giveaway
- Money saving for dog owners Slideshow
- Buying and selling used video games
- School lunch advice from childcare center director
- Video: Avoiding vacation debt & regret
- Let's play with edible clay!
- 6 things to consider before taking on the care of elderly parents
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Grocery items you can find on sale in September
- Teen texting-while-driving cost: No LOL
- 5 colleges where your kid can go to school for free
- 6 secrets to saving more at discount stores
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator