7 Things You Can Do Now for a Simpler Christmas
by Nancy Twigg
5 Tips for a Happy Thrifty Holiday
A Dozen Holiday Hints
10 Steps to Zap Holiday Stress
Every year do you wish for a less stressful holiday season? This year, don't just dream about a simpler Christmas. Make it a reality by taking action. Consider these positive steps you can take to ensure a less hectic, more meaningful Christmas celebration.
Christmas Shopping before the Christmas Rush - Don't wait until the stores are packed with thousands of holiday shoppers. Beat the crowds. Ask family members for their Christmas wish lists and get busy now.
Take Care of Time-Consuming Tasks - Start writing Christmas cards, wrapping gifts, and boxing up presents to mail. Why wait until December to attend to these time-consuming details? There's no reason to put off these tasks. Knock them out now.
Fill Your Freezer - Each time you cook in the next few weeks, double or even triple your recipes and freeze the extra portions. During the hectic holiday season, you'll be thankful to have those quick heat-and-eat meals in the freezer.
Plan Volunteer Activities Now - Is there some charitable work you'd like to do each year that you never seem to get around to? Does the idea of giving back to the community always get lost in the holiday shuffle? Decide what you want to do to help out this year and volunteer now so it won't get overlooked in December.
Complete Your Christmas Crafts - If you plan to give any handcrafted gifts, plan to have them finished by Thanksgiving or even sooner. Work at it in the evenings or on the weekends until you finish.
Plan Holiday Menus - Take this time to write out menus for dinners and family gatherings so you won't have to think about it later. Talk to other family members now if you'd like them to help out with the cooking. Also, use this time to experiment with any new holiday recipes.
Decide What to Delete - What obligations add to your stress level each year? What activities would you rather forgo this time? Decide in advance what activities you want to skip and how you will diplomatically decline these engagements.
Nancy Twigg is a Christian speaker and the author of Celebrate Simply: Your Guide to Simpler, More Meaningful Holidays and Special Occasions
Take the Next Step
- Visit our Pinterest board for Preparing for a Frugal Holiday Season.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- Get creative in the kitchen and save #TDSPantryChallenge
- 7 ways to keep college costs in check
- Home remedies for common winter ailments
- Buying and selling toys on craigslist
- Hiding debts from your spouse
- Is it possible to stay at home with your kids?
- Homemade cat food
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- January bargains in the supermarket and beyond
- Raising kids that launch Video
- 8 tips to successfully work from home
- Best places to sell 8 popular household items
- 5 dumb ways to spend money on your kids
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator