How to clean vinyl shutters and siding
Faded Vinyl Shutters and Siding
Cleaning Tar from Vinyl Siding
Cleaning Vinyl Siding
Gearing Up for Summer
What Is an Effective Vinyl Shutter Cleaner?
I have vinyl exterior shutters that have faded severely. Is there any product that can be applied to these shutters to restore them to their original color? The color is solid throughout with just the surface having faded. I'd rather not go through the hassle of washing, sanding, priming and repainting the vinyl shutters, as that kind of defeats the purpose of having maintenance-free vinyl shutters. I tried a product called Nu-Vinyl, but that lasted only one season. Any help would be most appreciated.
Product Cleans Vinyl Shutters
You are in luck. There is a product by the Flood Co. that is specifically made to renew shutters. It is a two step process, but it looks very easy and the results are supposed to last for years. Flood usually makes good products, so it would be worth it to take a look. Lowe's or Home Depot would probably have it, or look on the Flood Co. website.
WD-40 As Vinyl Shutter Cleaner
A friend of mine was told to use WD-40. She said it worked great. I would try it on a small spot first.
Don't Use Shutter Cleaner, Check the Warranty
Has your warranty expired? Some siding products have a lifetime warranty and this would include fading problems. If you know the name of the manufacturer, contact them. I know that my husband, a siding installer, has replaced whole houses where the siding has faded and the homeowner was not satisfied with the "new" color. The manufacturer refunded the homeowner for the labor and materials.
Apply the Proper Primer
The problem is that paint does not want to stick to plastic. When I was restoring my son's Camaro recently, the plastic covered bumper needed painting. Regular primer doesn't work, so the body shop manager suggested that I go to a NAPA parts store and buy polyurethane primer ($6 a can) for the plastic surface of the bumper. After priming, regular paint should stick to the shutters.
Also in Home
- Rent a garden plot
- Renewing bathroom sinks
- Homemade dishwasher detergent
- Cheap sofa reupholstery
- Free landscape borders Slideshow
- Homemade floor cleaners
- 5 ways to prepare your garden for spring
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?