How to renew and clean faded vinyl shutters
Faded Vinyl Shutters
Cleaning Tar from Vinyl Siding
Cleaning Vinyl Siding
Gearing Up for Summer
What Is an Effective Vinyl Shutter Cleaner?
I have vinyl exterior shutters that have faded severely. Is there any product that can be applied to these shutters to restore them to their original color? The color is solid throughout with just the surface having faded. I'd rather not go through the hassle of washing, sanding, priming and repainting the vinyl shutters, as that kind of defeats the purpose of having maintenance-free vinyl shutters. I tried a product called Nu Vinyl,
but that lasted only one season. Any help would be most appreciated.
Product Cleans Vinyl Shutters
You are in luck. There is a product by the Flood Co. that is specifically made to renew shutters. It is a two step process, but it looks very easy and the results are supposed to last for years. Flood usually makes good products, so it would be worth it to take a look. Lowe's or Home Depot would probably have it, or look on the Flood Co. website.
WD-40 As Vinyl Shutter Cleaner
A friend of mine was told to use WD-40. She said it worked great. I would try it on a small spot first.
Don't Use Shutter Cleaner, Check the Warranty
Has your warranty expired? Some siding products have a lifetime warranty and this would include fading problems. If you know the name of the manufacturer, contact them. I know that my husband, a siding installer, has replaced whole houses where the siding has faded and the homeowner was not satisfied with the "new" color. The manufacturer refunded the homeowner for the labor and materials.
Don't forget to use the ebates cash back site and receive cash back on all of your purchases.
Apply the Proper Primer
The problem is that paint does not want to stick to plastic. When I was restoring my son's Camaro recently, the plastic covered bumper needed painting. Regular primer doesn't work, so the body shop manager suggested that I go to a NAPA parts store and buy polyurethane primer ($6 a can) for the plastic surface of the bumper. After priming, regular paint should stick to the shutters.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
Take the Next Step
- Security does not need to cost a lot, it just needs to work! Armor Concepts.com
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
- Visit our "Handy Household Tips" board today!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?