How to clean vinyl shutters and siding
Faded Vinyl Shutters and Siding
Cleaning Tar from Vinyl Siding
Cleaning Vinyl Siding
Gearing Up for Summer
What Is an Effective Vinyl Shutter Cleaner?
I have vinyl exterior shutters that have faded severely. Is there any product that can be applied to these shutters to restore them to their original color? The color is solid throughout with just the surface having faded. I'd rather not go through the hassle of washing, sanding, priming and repainting the vinyl shutters, as that kind of defeats the purpose of having maintenance-free vinyl shutters. I tried a product called Nu-Vinyl, but that lasted only one season. Any help would be most appreciated.
Product Cleans Vinyl Shutters
You are in luck. There is a product by the Flood Co. that is specifically made to renew shutters. It is a two step process, but it looks very easy and the results are supposed to last for years. Flood usually makes good products, so it would be worth it to take a look. Lowe's or Home Depot would probably have it, or look on the Flood Co. website.
WD-40 As Vinyl Shutter Cleaner
A friend of mine was told to use WD-40. She said it worked great. I would try it on a small spot first.
Don't Use Shutter Cleaner, Check the Warranty
Has your warranty expired? Some siding products have a lifetime warranty and this would include fading problems. If you know the name of the manufacturer, contact them. I know that my husband, a siding installer, has replaced whole houses where the siding has faded and the homeowner was not satisfied with the "new" color. The manufacturer refunded the homeowner for the labor and materials.
for tools and supplies for your home improvement project Shop at AceHardware.com
Apply the Proper Primer
The problem is that paint does not want to stick to plastic. When I was restoring my son's Camaro recently, the plastic covered bumper needed painting. Regular primer doesn't work, so the body shop manager suggested that I go to a NAPA parts store and buy polyurethane primer ($6 a can) for the plastic surface of the bumper. After priming, regular paint should stick to the shutters.
Take the Next Step
- Use SCOE 10X - The Odor Eliminator to remove the toughest of odors.
- Get more great time and money saving ideas in your inbox. Subscribe to Dollar Stretcher Tips newsletter, a twice weekly look at how to stretch your day and your dollar!
- Great things are happening on Pinterest! Visit our "Handy Household Tips" board today!
Also in Home
- How to seal your basement from outside moisture
- Are you ready to buy your first home? Video
- How to clear a clogged drain naturally
- Indoor container gardening
- Hot? Turn on the furnace!
- The essential starting point to lower summer energy bills
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?