My Story: Home Furnishings
contributed by Kathy
An Affordable Luxury Bedroom
Bedroom Redos on a Budget
Decorating Bedrooms on a Budget
I'm a middle-aged lady whose income has been greatly reduced, due to downsizing. There's no use letting it get you down, because there's more than one way to skin a cat!
I really wanted a "new" bedroom. I had a full size bed in that particular room for years, but it really was too large for the room, which is about 10 feet by 10 feet. I was driving home from work one day, cut through an alley, and there was the cutest twin bed frame in the alley. It didn't have the metal frame that connects the headboard and footboard, but I didn't worry about that at the time.
I took it home, cleaned it up, sanded it down, and repainted it. Then I bought some decorative wood ornamentation from Lowe's. I glued them on the headboard and footboard, nailed them securely with tiny nails, and painted them. It was a beautiful addition, and looked like it "belonged" in the design.
Then I "found" a small chest of drawers that was being trashed just a block away at a friend's house. I took it home, cleaned it up, and added a few strategic nails where needed. Then I painted it the same color as the bed.
I was late to work one day, so I had to park in another area and walk a different route to work. Sitting by a dumpster as pretty as you please was a 20" Magnavox TV. I carried it back a block and a half to my car. I was so excited!
When I got it home, I was disappointed. It wouldn't turn on. So, I took it to a repairman. Two hours and $45 later, it worked just fine and had a beautiful picture.
I used the bed rails out of my old bed for the "new" twin bed. I did have to buy a new twin mattress and box spring, but I wanted a new set (I have a lot of back trouble). I bought a few twin fitted sheets (some from Good Will) and a new twin mattress pad. Otherwise, I used the old full flat sheets. Because the new mattresses are a lot thicker and the bed sits higher off the floor, they work fine.
My "new" bedroom is very cozy and pleasant, and even the cat has given his stamp of approval!
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money please send it by mailto:MyStory@stretcher.com
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How to hire an affordable, reliable housesitter
- Helping your adult children with housing
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Installing bathroom in-floor heat
- Natural homemade laundry soap recipes
- How to reduce heating bills this winter
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?