Hair Care Fact vs. Fiction
by Paula Begoun
Affordable Hair Conditioner
Hair Care Savings
Affordable Natural Homemade Shampoo
Before you buy another hair-care product, the best place to start is with some basic facts so you can better differentiate between truth and fiction when it comes to your hair. Understanding these facts before you go shopping for hair-care products, before you see another infomercial promising flawless results, before a friend introduces you to a new multilevel company selling hair-care products, or before you read another fashion magazine will give you a better perspective on what you are really buying, what the products can and can't do, whether what you are using is worth the money, and, most important, whether any of the products can actually be damaging to your hair.
- Expensive hair-care products are better than inexpensive ones. (Very False)
- Inexpensive hair-care products are watered down, while expensive hair-care products are more concentrated. (False)
- Salon products are better than drugstore products. (False)
- Natural ingredients are better than synthetic ones. (Completely False)
- Silicone is bad for hair. (1,000% False)
- You can repair damaged hair. (False - It's not possible)
- You can protect hair from heat damage caused by blow dryers, flat irons, or curling irons. (True - Somewhat possible)
- Dyeing hair isn't damaging. (False)
- You can perm and color hair without causing more damage if you wait a few weeks between treatments. (False)
- Dyeing hair is dangerous and can cause cancer. (False - Controversial, but definitely not substantiated)
- Inexpensive hair-care products can strip hair color, but expensive products won't do this. (False)
- Some hair-care products can protect hair from sun damage. (False)
- Sodium lauryl sulfate and other hair-care ingredients cause cancer. (False)
- Cosmetic hair-care products can grow hair. (Almost False - Cosmetic company products can't, but products from pharmaceutical companies containing FDA-approved drugs can)
Reprinted with permission from the new 3rd Edition of Don't Go Shopping for Hair-Care Products Without Me (Beginning Press, $21.95) by Paula Begoun. Paula has been researching and reporting on the beauty industry for over 20 years. She has sold over a million copies of her best-selling beauty guides and she continues to spread the word that "Inner Beauty is Priceless but Outer Beauty Doesn't have to be!" Call (800) 831-4088 or visit CosmeticsCop.com/ for more money-saving articles on hair care, skin care and cosmetics, to sign up for Paula's free Beauty Bulletin, request a catalog or to save $5 off the cover price of this title.
Take the Next Step:
- Find your perfect hairstyle. Sign up at TheHairStyler.com today for free!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Prices keep rising while my income remains stagnant and I worry I am heading for debt trouble. Tell us: Yes, I think I am heading for debt trouble and could use some help! or No, I am not in debt trouble but I am always looking for new ways to help keep my budget on track!
More Money-Saving Lifestyle Tips
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- 6 tips for a fabulously free vacation
- Secrets to living luxuriously for less
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- 4 secrets to being a frugal foodie
- Making money with apps
- 5 easy tips to help you stop wasting time
- Homemade energy drinks
- This week's Readers' Tips